How Small Is Too Small To Disassemble

Hoosier65

So, I'm new and love disassembling things.  I have an 18/0s ladies waltham watch I'm about to tear into to. So at what point do I just clean the assembled watch?  This is a very small watch.  I just don't want to be spinning my wheels trying to take apart and reassemble something even the pros don't do.  

I've done some larger movements, got a good stero-microscope and only shake after my 3 cup of coffee....lol 

I'm an automotive design engineer working at Honda Research and Development (not for Honda). So its easy to visualize how this go together and what each thing should do.  I was just curious if there is a point where you don't take it apart.  I might stick with  larger watches for a while, but this one was running but really dirty. 

Hi Hoosier, it doesn't matter whether you're a pro or like me a serious amateur, at some time you will either want to, or have to push the boundaries regarding the size of the watch. Regardless of the size, if it is a quality piece, it will still have to be fully disassembled for cleaning.

The only fundemental diference is handling the small components. You will probably have to dress your screwdrivers to fit the tiny screws exactly as near enough is not good enough. If it is a watch that is of no importance give it a try, if you win, it's a great feeling, if you loose, you will still have gained some knowledge in the process and can always try another day.

Here was the first small watch I refurbished.

http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/963-time-for-a-cocktail/?hl=ladies#entry8339

• Like 1

I think you have a good handle on what's required, Hoosier65. As you know, all watches and clocks are built on the same train design (albeit different escapemants) but essentiually the same. Not counting the chrono, repeater, etc, ad-ons.

One suggestion, take a digital pic of the dial plate after you remove the dial and the top plate before you remove the balance plate/cock (or any time during disasembly). This will help in re-assembly especially with the keyless works, levers, and springs. You'll be fine if you take your time and remember the delicacy these movements need in handling.

(God, I wish this site had a spell correct!)