Bulova Screw Down Crown

Hi Folks

Just found this great site and I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. I have a Bulova Super Seville day/date which is in really great condition and running well. Recently I have been unable to set the time or manually wind the watch. The crown just spins. I have removed the crown and stem and isolated the problem to the crown itself, it will not engage the stem. The movement is an ETA 2834-2. Any ideas??

Claudius17

New both stem and crown if stem broken at crown and not possible to remove?! Probably only stem. Check for a small piece left inside the keyless works.

PS. Welcome to the forum!

Edited by bobm12

Probably a misunderstanding rogart. No problem with the keyless works but maybe the tip of the stem is still there. He is saying the action of the crown won't wind the watch, then he has removed the crown and whatever part of the stem is attached to it, or the crown and a separate piece of the stem (?) but not necessarily the whole stem. We might need a picture to clarify.

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick responses. Just a point to clarify, the stem removes in one piece, no bits missing. The problem is that the crown spins when the stem is held in a pin vice. There is a spring arrangement in these crowns but I do not know how to take the crown off the stem. At least I would like to know how to without causing any damage.

I'm not familiar with the Bulova screw down crown, but it sounds to me like the sliding coupling has stripped. I don't what type it is but would guess that it is a spline system. The threads of the stem are probably OK, but you will probably have to apply heat to the crown and grip the part that the stem is screwed into with narrow nose pliers or similar, to unscrew it. You will need a new crown though.

Hi Geo, thanks for that, I think that you have hit the problem on the head there. I was hoping to be able to salvage the Bulova crown as it has the distinctive Accutron logo. The best course of action will be to get it done professionally. I don't mind having a go at anything but its early days for me and this watch is a definite keeper.

Thanks for the quick responses. Just a point to clarify, the stem removes in one piece, no bits missing. The problem is that the crown spins when the stem is held in a pin vice. There is a spring arrangement in these crowns but I do not know how to take the crown off the stem. At least I would like to know how to without causing any damage.

Hi Claudius 

Have you looked at Cousinsuk https://www.cousinsuk.com/. They have crowns and other parts for Bulova . You need to search with the reference on the watch .