Vintage Timex Quartz Second Hand Jerky Movement

Was it OK before the new battery was fitted (before it stopped).

If the battery is in the correct way round then it might be the movement is clogged with dust etc. I have not worked on one of these so I don,t know if it is a serviceable unit. It might be possible to change the whole unit at a very reasonable cost.

The movement looks like it needs a good clean and service. There is a good chance something has seized and the the motor is incapable of driving the the gear train.

I'm sure others will pitch in to help.

Take a look at some of Mark's videos for quartz watches on www.watchrepairchannel.com

Notice how careful and patiently he performs each step. That's how we're to

work on watches.

Don't be afraid to undertake this. It's how you learn; and remember to use the right tool for the work to be done, shortcuts will only lead to ruined parts, and set-backs.

After you perform one task, take a break and think about what you did and how you did it. Take pics of each phase, it'll help when you need to know what part goes where because you will forget.

Take your time and be patient, it doesn't have to be completed in one sitting.

Edited by mlfloyd1

Hi eyebidder,

In my mind that shouldn't be a very expensive watch, please correct me if I'm wrong, so it would be good to experiment on. Remember that being Timex the movement in question may be hard to find if this one is damaged. I have a suggestion but this will include removing the dial, hands and battery and in fact anything that is not the movement itself. Then spray it with the following:

post-253-0-48038300-1422124487_thumb.jpg

then blow dry and replace removed parts. If the problem persist, try to force spin it in the appropriate machine...something like this:

post-253-0-13136000-1422124622_thumb.jpg

This is just a thought and I have never tried it (but I will eventually). So, your call and own risk...might be worth a shot though.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Bob

PS, Welcome to the forum!

Geo, on 25 Jan 2015 - 04:59 AM, said:

What about this Bob, do you think it would work?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

:)

That is a pure Aussie invention with an appropriate name ... all our very best inventions have "**BLEEP**" in their product name :p

That stuff is good for everything: from a lawn mower that won't start up, to a hang-over cure, and breath freshener for the morning after :wub:

... Honestly!  I wouldn't lie about such things! :rolleyes:

• Like 2