Festina tour de France 16599/6 orange dial strip down

That is a quartz watch, these are not commonly serviced, why do you think it's necessary?

In any case you never worked on a watch movement or module it would you be better that you begin with something of very small value after having acquired a minimum of tools.

FYI we have a section where it's considered polite for new members to introduce themselves.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• So all that glitters is not gold when it comes to buying from ebay ( in fact very very rarely) i bought this as554 a few months ago. It was it's dial that attracted me to the joblot, which turned out to be printed on a postcard, that was the first red flag. During disassembly many faults were discovered as listed above,  but i was prepared to soldier on and see what i could achieve. I managed to make a setting lever for it which was a great learning experience and also correctly shape and de rust the hairspring.  Turning my attention to the balance assembly i have hit a road block. The staff broke when removing the roller but that wasn't so much of an issue as it was quite deformed anyway.  I also had several AS554 staffs that I could replace it with, problem is they dont measure up the same. I thought i had identified the movement correctly but what i think has happened is some heavy modification has taken place to make an incorrect staff fit. A nos staff is a slack fit on the balance wheel, the roller and the collet. The balance wheel has also been filed to within an inch of its life. I'm starting to doubt my identification of the movement either that or someone has converted the movement into a pure nugget of trash. Bit disappointed as i managed to get the train to spin lovely and put a good few hours into the setting lever. A balance complete might be the only option if one is available but you know when you are just wasting money. My thoughts are to make and modify something else to fit and work if that is possible, any ideas anyone ? 
    • My second iteration. Cleaning to be underneath the towel rails. That makes sense. Moved the fridge and the maching/printing table around to the right. Changed the lathe to be used over the end of the bench. Not much room in front of the 3D printer, but you don't have to stand there while it is doing its thing. I may swap the fridge and the machining/printing bench yet. Not sure. And the 'doing' area. The power that was brought in for tha spa was 30A I think, so there will be more power than I need. I will have to check how level the benches are as well as find a spot for the movement testing rig to go. The tiles do have a fall toward the drain so I will have to work something out to be able to level the rig easily no matter where I put it. I'm also going to cut some slots in the bottom for pendulum clearance and some squares in the top section to be able to better see the movement. I'm getting more excited now.
    • Thanks Rich and scott for that information,  so much more to learn.
    • Ah i didn't notice that but it was past one i  the morning when read it  The keyless works used for identification are hidden under the watchmakers side. You would have to disassemble it, you dont need to worry so much about that, doubtful it is a Remontoire as i suggested earlier this morning 🤦‍♂️ but you never know 😁