Ernest Borel Cocktail Restore

I came across an Ernest Borel Cocktail Skeleton watch at an estate sale yesterday.  I dont believe it is an automatic as I ahd to wind it today, finding solid info on this watch is difficult, perhapos Im not typing in the correct terms into google.  After purchase upon closer examination, the "seconds" dial is missing, which means I do not have the wonderful kaleidoscope effect, which is the best feature of the watch.  I have ordered a replacement seconds dial on ebay, and plan to DIY it myself.  I would also like to replace the crystal while I have it apart because it is quite worn with a small crack.  the gold plating is in good shape but could use a cleaning.  The watch seems to keep time just fine, when wound.  

My main questions are, well, how do I go about adding the seconds dial?  In the picture, you will notice it does not look like there is much room on top of the minutes disk to add a second hand.  Where can I purchase a new crystal, and what, if any specific tools are needed?  Is this something that is not worth DIYing for a beginner and should be handled by a pro?  Your opinions are appreciated.  I plan to keep the watch for myself (at least initially, I bu and sell a lot of vintage items, it may someday make its way into my marketplace) .   I would not mind investing in some tools as I am sure I will come across more vintage watches, and would like to keep my repair in house to keep costs down.

Also, the band says "Seidel USA" I asusme this is not the original, and its one of those elastic-type gold bands.  I really dislike this type of band, and I ahve not found new old stuck band son ebay, is there a resource for them or am I just going to be looking for any aftermarket, leather band?

IMG_6048.jpeg

Edited by standarsh
added info regarding band

You haven't included a picture of the movement inside the watch but Borel often used ETA movements. When you look at the movement does it look like this ETA 1311 movement ... http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&ETA_1311 ... if so this page includes some information you might find useful. If it doesn't look like this then post a pic and we'll help identify it!

An automatic? No - this is a manual wind. And your assumption that the watch should include a second hand?That's highly unlikely ... if you do a google image search of Borel cocktail watches then yours is how it should be. Also look at YouTube for 'Borel cocktail'.

The crystal on this watch is acrylic and given the age of the watch doesn't actually look to be in that bad a condition. You can get great results quite easily on acrylic crystals by polishing them. Some folk say you can use toothpaste and a cloth but I'd advocate getting an inexpensive product like polyWatch designed for this purpose which I've always had good results with.

I'd say the band is probably original; it fits with the style and age of the watch. If you don't like it then there are lots of alternative straps out there; just get one on ebay or similar. Measure the mm distance between the lugs (i.e. where the strap joins the watch) and then search for this size strap. Brown leather is often a good choice with a gold case.

Hope this info helps initially.

On 1/5/2020 at 6:06 AM, WatchMaker said:

You haven't included a picture of the movement inside the watch but Borel often used ETA movements. When you look at the movement does it look like this ETA 1311 movement ... http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&ETA_1311 ... if so this page includes some information you might find useful. If it doesn't look like this then post a pic and we'll help identify it!

An automatic? No - this is a manual wind. And your assumption that the watch should include a second hand?That's highly unlikely ... if you do a google image search of Borel cocktail watches then yours is how it should be. Also look at YouTube for 'Borel cocktail'.

The crystal on this watch is acrylic and given the age of the watch doesn't actually look to be in that bad a condition. You can get great results quite easily on acrylic crystals by polishing them. Some folk say you can use toothpaste and a cloth but I'd advocate getting an inexpensive product like polyWatch designed for this purpose which I've always had good results with.

I'd say the band is probably original; it fits with the style and age of the watch. If you don't like it then there are lots of alternative straps out there; just get one on ebay or similar. Measure the mm distance between the lugs (i.e. where the strap joins the watch) and then search for this size strap. Brown leather is often a good choice with a gold case.

Hope this info helps initially.

I meant it doesn’t have the “seconds disk” IE the second disk that spins giving it the kaleidoscope effect. The eBay vendor I ordered a new seconds disk from seems to think it broke off on the shaft which seems likely. I have not yet taken a photo of the movement but I will when I am home. 

I appreciate your help. Most of my background with vintage items is with furniture and decor where keeping as much original hardware as possible makes a piece more desirable. Is it the same in the vintage watch world?  If so I will not replace the hideous band.