Russian Volna Motion Works Failure

Bird

Hello All,

I bought this watch for my brother for Christmas. I decided to disassemble, clean, reassemble and oil. After completing the job, I tested the motion works (failed to test prior to disassembly) and it seized: It simply will not turn. I have narrowed it down to the wheel identified in the attached pictures. (note the keyless works seems to be working fine) This wheel has a wheel at both the top and bottom (dial side) plates and it has a pinion that engages with the going barrel. The bottom plate wheel-see photo-engages with the intermediate wheels of the motion works. Everything works fine, of course, until I install the pallets, then nothing moves. When I pull out the crown stem, with palletts removed, the entire wheel train, including second hands pinion and extension move. For some reason the wheel train and the motion works are not acting independently. I purchased another Volna Cal 2809 movement on ebay to see what I may have missed but thought I would ask you folks if you have any ideas.

Thanks a bunch-this is the first time I have been stuck in a year or so...Mark has trained me well.

Bird

imagejpeg_0 (2).jpg

imagejpeg_1.jpg

I'm not familiar with this movement but you could have an offset cannon pinion and that may be frozen in place.

Try to grip the pinion with and work the wheel to loosen.. don't use too much force as the wheel is delicate.

Good luck.

Anilv

If it is something  like the 2209 there is a pretty  large  gear at the bottom  of that wheel that engages another gear.it is pretty  picky about placement. It is possible  to install  it incorrectly   so that  it does not mesh. Re install  carefully  under magnification. That  wheel  and the second hand shaft  ride in jewels  in the barrel  bridge. On the 2209 I have had the best success  by installing  the train bridge  first. Then installing  the barrel  bridge without  the mainspring  to check that nothing  binds. When I am happy  with  the mesh I then install  the mainspring..

Edited by yankeedog
  • Thanks 1

Oh.. missed that this was a 2809.. the so called Zenith copy. And yes, that's an offset cannon pinion.

I have worked on several and while the movement is nice I had a lot of problems with the hands as the hand no tube, just holes which were worn.

That would make a nice present.

Anilv

• Thanks 1