Seiko 7009 - escape wheel not engaged

Dear All

I have faced this issue many times and I really hope that someone could help me. Thanks.

During assembly of the 7009 movement, many times I will be stuck with the barrel and train wheel bridge step. The problem I faced is that it is very difficult to have the escape wheel and pinion in perfect alignment. In other words the escape wheel is not engaged when I turn the barrel. (Steps 49 - 38). 

I hardly ever encountered such issue with the 6309 or 7S26, but with 7005 and 7009, I am always stuck with this step, that is getting the escape wheel to be engaged when I place the barrel and train wheel bridge over. Can anyone share some reason/s why this is the case?

This step usually takes a bit of time. I think that the escape wheel has a tendency to lean against the third wheel, so before I install the bridge I try to be sure that it rests on the fourth wheel instead, then I put the bridge as as softly as I can. Then it always needs to be adjusted with the tweezers until the upper pivot goes into its jewel.

• Like 1

Hi James   fitting train wheels and bridges is always a bit fiddley, assemble the train  lay on the bridge softly then fit a screw into the bridge to hold it, do not over tighten it , hopefully this will hold the train wheels while you manouvre  them in.  I made some tools from soft sewing needles bent at different angles to allow me to jiggle the train wheels in.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies.

Turns out I've had quite a number of bad escape wheels - broken pivot at the top or bottom, that's why it does not stay in position and so there's no engagement. Could be due to over tightening from previous attempts or they were already broken when I bought them as used watches. I tried with a good wheel today and somewhat managed to get everything in place. 

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Good question!! Anyone know of a substitute movement??!! 🤔🙏
    • Interesting issue that I just noticed: this Seiko 5actus Watch from 1977 has a calibre listing on the dial of 7019-8030R but on the case back it says 7019-8010!! Like a mis-printed coin, is this watch therefore worth a lot of money for its rarity?? 🤪😲🤔🤪
    • I wish that was the case. The Aegler movements used in the early days by Wilsdorf & Davis (for brands like Rolex and Rolco) came in several sizes and without designated calibre numbers that survive.  They become a bit easier to identify during the 1920s. Below is an Aegler-Rebberg, 25.74mm in diameter. It’s from a woman’s Rolex wristwatch. Stamped Rebberg and 500 on the dial plate (but it isn’t a Rebberg 500, it’s the wrong size).  I’d be interested if anyone can identify the movement.  It is based off the Aegler Nr.1, circa 1903, but they based many many calibres of different sizes on it. The closest I have to a positive ID is the  ‘Rolex Nr.50’ circa 1917, but no dial side images or movement sizes are available in the references. There are identical looking movements in many sizes.  The 25.74mm of this movement is a particularly strange size for the era, it equates to 11.41 lignes.      Best Regards, Mark
    • It looks like this movement comes with a number of different shock settings. Emmywatch shows that it comes in versions with no shock settings, 'Incabloc', 'shock resist', and 'Supershock'. Perhaps the different settings position the impulse jewel/roller table in a non-ideal position relative to the pallet fork/guard pin. Are you able to check under high magnification if the pallet fork and roller table are able to operate without any interference? Just for fun I took a look and I have one FHF 70 in my collection, a West End Secundus with a non-shock protected FHF70. I had a note with the watch that said, "Movement is stamped 'FHF 70', but the FHF70 looks to have sub-seconds instead of center seconds movement (??)" but that a google search turned up both types for this movement. EDIT: I just took a look in my parts drawer and I have a few of these movements, both in center seconds and sweep seconds, but they all are non-shock protected.  
    • Any info on this watch would help. I know that it's sterling from London but I could not match the o letter date or make out makers mark.  Is the movement maker Camberwell or Lamberwell?   If I give it a twist it will run for about ten seconds.  $45 yard sale find.  I don't think that I want to service a fusee.  What quality is it?