Quartz Running Slow?

jnash

Hi guys, another quartz question..

I have a watch from a family member that is having a problem with there watch it seems to be running behind my "master clock"

I noticed that the watch has a red hard gasket that has been damaged so the watch back wasnt closed properly which i can imagine over the years has allowed for dirt to get in.

I'm going to service the watch anyway, its about 30 years old .

Just trying to understand the issue, could this be a result of old oil on the pivots?  

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

Edited by jnash

I have very little experience with quartz movements so this should be considered as thinking aloud rather than an answer.

The rate of a quartz movement is governed electronically by its crystal oscillator with the biggest external influence being temperature, even battery voltage doesn't influence the rate so long as there is enough power to move the hands. The mechanical side of a quartz analogue movement simply translates the pulses from the timing circuit into a readable display. 

If dried oil was to have an effect on the performance of the watch I would expect it to simply stop it all together.

Maybe if it is causing an intermittent stoppage that would look like a slower than proper rate, but if the oil has managed to block the motion of the train, something else must be starting it again (like a physical jolt or shock).

A service is never going to be a bad thing for a 30 year old watch but I suspect that it will be unlikely to solve the rate issue.

Given the era in which the movement was made it is possible that it has a trimmer  capacitor or some other adjustment that can be used for regulation.

What is the movement?

I'm in the same boat as Mark and I support his opinion too.

I will also add that being improperly closed it might have added an extra factor: dust. This in combination with the oil might have created some type of "sanding paste" and worn away friction surfaces and added resistance to mechanical interactions all contributing to an intermittent rate...Makes me think of my physics class way back, roughly: "No matter how small is a force and how big the "resistance/weight/ etc" of the object it is applied to, it will eventually perform work (defined as some useful task like moving an object from point A to B but will take more time to do it" Therefore, cleaning will most likely remove all the extra friction and restore functionality and -- if there is no damaged component (either electrical or mechanical) -- I don't see  a reason it should not work properly afterward...unless some of the electrical component properties had changed over the years (not really damaged: capacitor with changed capacitance, etc).

Bottom line, go for a good cleaning and try to measure the electronics for desired output...and let us know about the result I'm very interested too!

Cheers,

Bob

Edited by bobm12

I serviced the watch tonight, dirt must of got in as apparently the watch does intermittently stop and start yet I never saw it. Was going to replace but thought I'd work on a quartz for a change. Still prefer mechanical!. If anyone is interested a full strip down of the watch in my blog.

Thanks for all the good info as usual