Goliath Watch Winding Wheel

Hi all,

I've just picked up a fairly beaten up Goliath watch off eBay which, despite its condition, seems like it wants to run. The problem I have is that the winding wheel doesn't screw down like all the "regular" size pocket watches I've owned and comes off its arbour as soon as any tension is put on the movement.

A bit of research suggests it should have a plate like in the image attached (the one with the two holes either side of the centre) but I can't for the life of me find any information on what that part is actually called or how it secures the wheel; can anyone shed any light so I can try and track down a spare?

I'm very new to the forum so apologies if I've just asked the equivalent of how to bolt the wheels to my car!

Any thoughts very welcome.

post-338-0-89749900-1416527511.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum Butterfingers.

Frenchie is correct, you require a screw with a large diameter head to hold the wheel on. To keep it authentic it should have with two hole instead of a slot, but finding one like that will be pretty near impossible unless you have one made.

Check and make sure that the head hasn't been broken off the original screw by checking to see if the hole is clear. If It is clear, get a piece of pegwood and whittle it down at one end to virtually the same diameter (just a whisker larger) and gently screw it into the hole working it gently back and forth as you go. I am sure that the thread will be right handed on that wheel, but if you have difficulty getting it to bite, try going anti-clockwise. Do not force it, but gently work it in and out a few times and the wood will take on the form and diameter of the thread. You will now be able to measure this to allow you to search for a screw that will do the job.

If you can get the correct information and post it on the forum, someone might be able to supply something suitable.

• Like 1

Now that is a good tip Geo I will remember this one

You can also do it with a piece of soft aluminium wire or welding rod, but first flatten the end slightly and use a bit of oil to make sure it doesn't seize in the threads. This gives a very good imprint that is easily read with thread gauges.

Good trick Geo, I remember the wood one from my school days! (only it was in bigger stuff). I never thought of using it on a watch! Now I know better.

By the way, that part with the 2 holes in it, I've seen it to be a nut instead of a screw so keep an open mind. The holes are for the tweezers or similar to fit in. Probably left threaded...

Edited by bobm12

Thanks all for the helpful comments, really appreciate you all chipping in.

A picture of the movement is attached. I wondered if it should be held down with a bridge (another one I have has that arrangement) but I can't see where it would screw down.

Looking at it under a 20x glass, I think (italics!) I can see a tiny rim and two distinct metals, so I think comments above about it being a screw (or something bodged in) may be right. Sorry, there no way I can get a photo to illustrate my point but I'll investigate further and report back.

post-338-0-86904200-1416607991_thumb.jpg

post-338-0-08390100-1416608009_thumb.jpg