What movements other than ETA?

phydaux

So in my journey to become fluent with watch repair i have so far focused on ETA movements and their clones.  Specifically the 6498, 2801, 2824, 2892, 2636, and the 7750.  To be honest, I have focused on these movements because they and their clones are readily available on eBay.  

I'm thinking I should add common movements from other companies, for example Seiko and Miyota.  The question becomes, then, what ones?  I want to practice on movements that are common and broadly used, but I also want to be able to buy the naked movement cheaply.

Any recommendations?

There are loads (and I do mean loads) of cheap, second hand Seiko and Citizen watches on ebay from Indian sellers. The movements are usually "high mileage" and although the sellers often claim the watch to be "fully serviced", the state of these watches vary from pristine, like new,  to frankly filthy. 

So far as practice pieces go, they are ideal, complete with interesting quirks. 

Don't pay more than £10 for one, unless it looks exceptionally good. I added a couple of actually quite nice ones to my "404 collection" (watches picked up on ebay for £4.04 or less). Also look at HMT watches, as they are usually Citizen movements, made under license in India. You can actually pick these up new (or new old stock) from the HMT website or several ebay sellers.