Sekonda Stem Came Out When Adjusting Time

My brother had the battery changed in Goldsmiths about a month ago. Doubt they caused this but I'm miffed at the damage to the caseback.

Anyhoo, when my brother pulled out the crown to adjust the time today, the whole stem came out.

My tool kit doesn't have a case tool with a thin enough blade to open it. While I order one, does the stem look worn/damaged (still adjusts time & date) if not, what do I need to re-seat it?

Thanks, Rob.

IMG_20140720_143032.jpg

IMG_20140720_143104.jpg

IMG_20140720_143123.jpg

IMG_20140720_22134801.jpg

If the case was pristine to begin with that damage is shocking. At least with it being stainless steel, you can re-finish it quite easily.

First battery change in its life and bought new.

Will refinish after if I can fix it for him.

Why can't I find a case knife with a thin enough blade to open this?

Get one of these, they have a narrow width at the tip and you get a lot of leverage and control. I have used one for a long time now with great success.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-Back-Case-Knife-Opener-Remover-Watchmaker-Jeweler-DIY-Repair-Tool-Orange-/231269195527?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_WatchAccessories_SpareParts_SM&hash=item35d8b7df07

Hey Geo, how thick is that tip as I have a similar one and its too thick for this particular case back.

The only thing I have is an old razor sharp 2" lock knife and no way am I using that. Probably end up in hospital, again. :wacko:

Well done. If you ave a look at the area where the stem goes into the movement. There will either be a small button or a lever press, I don't think it will be held by a screw. I have not worked on one of these, so I may be wrong.

Found it using loupe. Just above the H of "Push" is a hole. Under it a lever appears when stem is all the way in.

I think either the part that holds the stem or the collar on the stem itself must be worn out.

Movement is Time module SII VD57B. Will try and find a pic of replacement stem and compare it.

there's nount wrong with the stem, I would suspect that whoever butchered the case back, then merrily prized the old battery out with a screw driver & bent the top plate dislodging the stem lock.

post-138-0-70884500-1406301519_thumb.jpg

the area circled in red looks to be damaged/scratched to me???? if so then this is probably where they tried to push things together again

I would start by giving the area cirled in black a little push down. OR take it back armed with what I've said & get them to replace the movement at their cost!

Lee

Edited by Lee

Now don't get me wrong I could be way off base & totally incorrect but what I see in the picture & your fault, suggests to me..............

There's a little clip that releases the battery bridge "A" I'd lay money down they haven't used it, instead stuck a screw driver in somewhere in the area of "B" and forced the battery out causing the top plate to be damaged, which by pushing back down they've thought they got away with!

post-138-0-45588600-1406302909_thumb.jpg

I bow to your waaaaaay greater knowledge, expertise etc.

I'll speak to my brother and see what he wants to do. He may ask me to try to remedy as per your suggestion but I want his go ahead.

It was about a month back that he had the battery changed. Wish I had checked the caseback before and after while infront of the assistant. :angry: