Newbie fixing a few watches

I have three watches that I want to talk about. The first is a Seiko 5 that was working quite well and I thought I could regulated. Unfortunately it's stopped. Newbie mistake. I've now sent this one in for service.

The second watch is a HMT Kanchan Frankenwatch. I bought it for about $10 on ebay. It has a couple of issues, and I don't mind if I break this one. The first issue is that it keeps Bad time while I'm wearing it even though it keeps good time when I leave it on the shelf. I have discovered that the rotor can cause the balance wheel to stop in certain positions. The other problem is that The day of week indicator is off. I will start by trying to fix the first problem.

The third watch is a Sea-gull ST5. This watch reports good time when I use an application like a Hairspring on the iPhone. However it loses a minute or two every single hour. Any advice as to what the problem maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the rate of the balance is correct (as reported by and timing app or Time Grapher) but the hands are consistently losing time then the most likely culprit is a loose canon pinion.

This is a relatively simple problem to fix but must be done with care as it is also very easy to overdo it.

If you do a forum search on canon pinion you will find a number of threads that deal with this specific issue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marc said:

If the rate of the balance is correct (as reported by and timing app or Time Grapher) but the hands are consistently losing time then the most likely culprit is a loose canon pinion.

This is a relatively simple problem to fix but must be done with care as it is also very easy to overdo it.

If you do a forum search on canon pinion you will find a number of threads that deal with this specific issue.

I agree! I have ruined many a cannon pinion...Its easy to overtighten them, but once you know how, it is a straightforward issue to fix.

J

• Like 1