Old Scottish Pocket Watch Repair

Good evening

I am currently working on what I believe to be an old Scottish pocket watch. It is in a watch box with the velvet lining marked Alexander Green Aberdeen. The watch itself has no makers marks or calibre numbers or origin markings.

The watch wasn't running right so after stripping it apart and giving it a thorough clean I noticed the mainspring is passed it's best so have ordered a new one and that the third wheel pinion pivot is broken. The watch looks like it had it's last service performed in a butcher shop as it is in poor nick. The enamel dial has been damaged and the 3rd wheel bridge has the jewel all cracked so assume the damage to the pivot occurred during the last reassembly of the watch.

I normally am able to order spares for older wristwatches and newer ones because of the calibre numbers and makers marks being on main plates etc so not an issue but I have no idea where to start when looking for replacement old pocket watch parts like wheels etc. I know in the times gone by that Generale books were used. Is there a modern day version of this where you can order spares by size and dimensional comparison or has that ship long sailed? I would like to learn how to source parts as I really enjoy fixing the pocket watches that people bring to me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20180823_155633.jpg

IMG_20180823_160657.jpg

IMG_20180823_195849.jpg

IMG_20180823_082120.jpg

IMG_20180823_084312.jpg

Edited by Andyworks

That movement is known as a five bar cylinder P/W. The movement is probably Swiss. The case I expect is silver. Getting the right parts for these watches will be like looking for a needle in a hay stack. There are millions of these movements about but when it comes to a donor movement, the parts are never interchangeable. If you are unable to re-pivot that wheel, find someone that can, replacing that jewel should be easy enough.   

Thanks for the info oldhippy. Makes you wonder why the companies never used standard parts much like they use ETA or similar movements today. I have seen a few similar looking and size movements on the favourite auction site but am glad you said none of the parts are interchangeable before I learnt the hard way. Will see what I can do with the repair as there are no repairers I know of here in Cardiff undertaking such work.

Many thanks again

Andy