Shockresist Disassembly And Cleaning.

Back in march I requested information regarding the old style anit-shock protection in a Rolex that i was having slight issues with.  This system dated from the 1940’s and is called Shockresist.  I had hoped to get a detailed explanation of how to disassemble, clean and lubricate the device, but unfortunately nobody came up with specifics that I was after.

I did a bit of research to find out how the system worked and bought an old movement fitted with the Shockresist, so that I could dismantle it to see how it is put together.

I removed the balance and cock in the normal way having first slackening the screw that holds the hairspring stud.  The next thing was to release the curb that regulates the hairspring, then gently remove the balance and spring from the cock.

As I suspected, there are two little screws under the balance cock that holds cap jewel and adjustment lever in place.  I removed these tiny screws and as predicted, the regulator components and cap jewel came apart.

I now turned my attentions to the balance jewel and retainer which was in the forum of a “C” clip.  For safety, I partially covered the clip with Rodico before dislodging it with the point of a Stanley blade.  To hold the cock securely during this process, I pinned it to a piece of cork with a screwdriver.  The turned out that the jewel and shock resisting spring were now very firmly held in place so I decided to clean them in situ.  I could have pressed them out, but thought it unnecessary.

The only parts of the watch that I cleaned and lubricated were the Shockresist components. But to my surprise, the watch sprang into life on assembly, and given the filthy state of the rest of the movement, gave a reasonable reading on my timegrapher.  All I have to do is pull the old Rolex apart now!

Here are some pictures I took of the disassembly.

post-124-0-67319600-1411052459_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-61425000-1411052475_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-70408900-1411052481_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-51980000-1411052491_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-82385900-1411052498_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-86187100-1411052505_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-42368000-1411052510_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-83724900-1411052515_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-37067700-1411052522_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-10500000-1411052534_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-28878800-1411052540_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-80654400-1411052549_thumb.jpg