Copper plating damage on Speedy

Josip

This literally a tiny issue, but It would be interesting to know how to deal with these kinds of things.

As you can see from the picture below, there seems to be a bit of damage to the plating of this 1969 Speedmaster cal 861. It’s very small, but how do I make sure the damage doesn’t spread? I guess I should remove all loose plating, but should the surface be treated with something too?

There was some greenish goo over the area when I first opened the watch, could it be a reaction or another watchmaker that put something on it?

537041366.715994public.JPG

The green goo is usually the oxidation of copper.  Most copper compounds are green or blue green.  Anything you can do to prevent the surface from contacting the atmosphere should stop it.  I don't know what works for watches but for other things sometimes people use varnish or wax.

That is probably corrosion due to a bad gasket or something done by a previous watchmaker. I don't think it will spread. But you should need to look over your gaskets. The little i can see i can see that it's in bad shape. Maybe have a service done or at least a check. 

Omega has coating called rhodium. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies.
i wish I had taken a “before” picture, but I guess you are right about the stuff being oxidation. A surprisingly large amount perhaps, but it would match the description.

Yes, the gaskets need to be replaced for sure. But do you think there is something that could be put on the copper to prevent further oxidation? I mean, it should be something that stays put.. :)

1 hour ago, Josip said:

Thank you for the replies.
i wish I had taken a “before” picture, but I guess you are right about the stuff being oxidation. A surprisingly large amount perhaps, but it would match the description.

Yes, the gaskets need to be replaced for sure. But do you think there is something that could be put on the copper to prevent further oxidation? I mean, it should be something that stays put.. :)

Have seen some rhodium repair on cousinsuk. Have it in my watchlist but never had come to test it. It's called magic rhodium. Someone here maybe has tested it? https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/magic-rhodium?code=R49276