Ronda staff as replacement in Pierce 103

Hi again....

Need to pick your brains on balance staff replacements.

So I have another one of these Pierce 103 movements to work on, this is the 3rd so far. I start to know them when I see them :-)

This one has a broken balance staff and I have learned the hard way that microns count in this area. The 103 was apparently fitted with several different staffs and the one coming closest to the measurements I take on the broken one is Ronda 2028.

BUT... there are still small differences.

I measure the part where the roller sits to 0,45 mm (Rn2028 - 0,44mm) There's a photo attached showing where I measure. IMG_3660.JPG

The part for the hairspring collet I measure to 0,52 mm (Rn2028 - 0,50 mm)

Will anyone with experience out there take a guess wether my roller will stay on or fall off the Rn2028 considering that the Ronda staff appears 10 micron less in diameter?

In a larger context I suppose my question boils down to how trustworthy these Ronda staffs are as replacements as I suppose they were a kind of 2nd source and not "orignal parts" ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello matabog,

As you say, there's probably no better alternativ than trying it out.

I have used my staking set with a hollow stake to tighten a collet. Worked fine.

Not sure it's possible with the roller though...?

Superglue can be tempting sometimes but I'll do my best to stay away from that stuff :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk