Eta 2824-2 Hour And Minute Hands Stop Moving

It sounds like either the hands are not quite properly seated (maybe enlarged holes or rubbing against something/each other?) or maybe the friction foil is missing, upside down or the dial is not set all the way against the movement plate?  mmm, interesting question.

Do they stop randomly or at any particular time? If the hour and minute hand are still in register, the cannon pinion probably requires tightening.

If it has a date or day register and only stops on the change do either one, the problem could be in the drive to these.

I had a similar problem with my wife's Longines, and sent it to Mark for repair. In a telephone conversation with him, his first thought - like mine - was the cannon pinion, etc. However, on later inspection, it seemed that there was uneven wear on one of the wheels in the train, which allowed the hands to turn part of the way and then stop - usually at the same position each time.

Just a thought...

When setting the hands does it feel loose? If there is not enough friction on the cannon wheel then you will get the symptoms you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When setting the hands does it feel loose? If there is not enough friction on the cannon wheel then you will get the symptoms you describe.

Only when I move the minute hand counter-clockwise, it feels loose. When I go clock-wise it doesn't.

The ETA 2824 (and some other ETAs) do not have a cannon pinion which presses down on the center wheel.. rather it is gripped by two arms and this provides the neccessary friction for transmission of power to the hands.. if the arms are not tight on the cannon pinion the the hands don't turn.

see picture of the dial side in this site..

http://www.chronometrie.com/eta2824/eta2824.html

The older movts like the 2452 have a three legged arrangement which is supposesd to grip the centre pinion in one direction, if fitted wrongly it can cause problems like you're having. The parts are interchangeable so this may be an issue.

so you are basically left with two possibilities..

1. Something physical with the hands, eg interfering with each other or with the the dial.

2. Power from the train not being transmitted to the hands. The seconds hand is directly driven by the train as the is no need for it to be 'set'.

Hope this helps.

Anil

Only when I move the minute hand counter-clockwise, it feels loose. When I go clock-wise it doesn't.

In that case I believe your problem is with the cannon wheel. This is likely worn. I would just replace this as it is cheap enough and quite available. Then a little lubrication and the problem should be fixed.

You should always feel resistance when setting the hands. If there is no resistance then the cannon wheel (or cannon pinion on other watches) is too loose.

:)

• Like 1