Maurice Lacroix Chrono Re-Finish

Hi,

Real nice forum :) Just thought I'd post up a thread of a re-finish I'm doing on this Maurice Lacroix I picked up recently. Here is the watch:

IMG_20140624_144542.jpg

Overall, it was in really good condition, even came with 4 full size spare links which looked like they were brand new and had been taken off the watch at purchase and never used since. However the bracelet had seen some proper use. The case head isn't so bad, but does have some marks on the top. The sapphire crystal is flawless as I'd expect it to be. It keeps good time and the functionally the watch is perfect (it uses the ETA 251.262 quartz movement). The lume is amazing and the best I've seen in person on any watch. It charges very easily and lasts ages (after a 2 minute charge under a desk lamp/phone LED flash it can still be read like 4 - 6 hours later) 

But the bracelet! So I purchased a watch/metal polishing kit off ebay (this one to be precise). The entire watch has a brushed finish, however it's a really really fine brush - closer to the polished look, though you can clearly see the brush marks. A fine satin finish I guess is the best way to describe it.

Here's what the watch looked like when I got it. Note that the 2 links either side of the claps links are the new ones - so this is the finish I was/am trying to match:

PhotoGrid_1404494057590.jpg

And here's after going over the scuffed links with the co**BLEEP** and then fine buffing ball.

PhotoGrid_1404494184791.jpg

Although the finish is good - I've seen some watches with this level of "brush", it's not a perfect match to the OEM finished links - I guess I need a finer, higher grit buffing ball to use with the dremel. I will eventually tackle the head once I can get a better match on the finish.

Does anyone know if the same effect could be achieved by maybe polishing the links first, then using my fine buffing ball gently ? OR would it be better to find a finer buffing ball?

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum suj, you will find this a friendly place to be a part of. There are folk here with diverse skills, so will undoubtedly pick up some good information.

That's a fine job you are doing refinishing the watch. When I refinish watches with brushed finish, I always polish them first to make sure that all the blemishes are removed before applying the brushed finish. I use very fine wet or dry abrasive paper or a fibreglass pen depending on the the effect that I want. Whatever method you use, ensure that the striations are parallel and follow the contours of the watch and/or bracelet.

Thanks guys.

Yeah someone else also said polish the bracelet (to a mirror finish first) and then add the brush effect. When I've figured out how to get the finish I'm after I can work on the case head, which will make the watch look like new once it's done.

Thanks guys.

Yeah someone else also said polish the bracelet (to a mirror finish first) and then add the brush effect. When I've figured out how to get the finish I'm after I can work on the case head, which will make the watch look like new once it's done.

It takes a fair bit of time and effort to get the best finish, but it will be worth it. It would be a good idea to pick up a really cheap stainless steel watch with a stainless strap to experiment on. That way you can try out different grades of abrasives and polishes to see what suits you.