Solar Powered Watches - Thumbs Up From Me

I don't like watches that use batteries, which I think are yet another part of "throw-away" culture, and I don't have any in my collection. For some reason I can't explain, I'm not a great fan of automatic watches either, though I do have just the one (a sturdy Seiko 5), or kinetics. Old-fashioned, hand-wound watches are really what I love.

However, the watch I wear when playing at functions where I'm loading and setting up equipment, or when going to the beach, or walking, etc., is a Seiko Solar. Here it is:

post-64-0-66497400-1404635362_thumb.jpg

It's a really good functional watch and fits snugly on the wrist. It's water resistant, needs no winding, no shaking and no batteries - and has a hacking second hand, so it can be set accurately. I suppose if the power charge is retained by a capacitor - like a kinetic - that may well need changing after some years, but it's a good, solid, reliable timepiece.

I've been looking at solar powered AND radio controlled watches, out of curiosity, but I haven't seen a model that appeals to enough yet - the dials tend to be like gas meters in the cockpit of a 747...

Edited by WillFly

That's so true Will, apparently nice clean designs as they used to be are not "cool" anymore! I don't know where I read that watch designers and manufacturers alike are trying to find the ultimate appealing watch design to no avail. I hope they keep trying! (more variety in the market).

I personally agree with you and the watches you like with one exception, I do love automatics! And Seiko 5's are the ultimate simple, rugged, inexpensive and practical approach to those. Still, quartz and similar...I'm not too sure I'll ever completely accept them. Although I own different systems and wear them indistinctly, I still price my mechanicals and autos above any other type. Ultimately, I believe a vintage and/or mechanical watch based collection will eventually have more value (not just monetary) than quartz et al.

By the way, that is a beautiful Seiko! Classical lines, very appealing.

Robert