Bergeon replacement blades

nriddell

Hi - I was wondering if there were any strong views among members as to the preferred replacement blades for Bergeon screwdrivers. I use Bergeon 6899 as opposed to 30080 but this was really just an arbitrary decision at the time. The 6899 blades are the hardened stainless steel variety and I have general found them to be good blades, reducing the number of times I feel I need to refine the blade tip. What is your own experience?

39 minutes ago, SSTEEL said:

Have you refinished your current blades several times, and is this why you are renewing them?

Hi SSteel - In answer to your question, I perform minimal refinishing on my blades. I will replace blades if there is a chip, break or other defect that would require more than a minimal amount of refinishing work. I know this will be frowned upon as I understand when some may say that I should spend more time returning the blades I have to the required condition, however this aspect is not what attracted me to watch repair. I have another hobby that requires the use of superior quality scissors and blades and this is where I spend my time cleaning, honing, and sharpening my tools and importantly, getting to know my tools inside and out. Watch repair, for now, is not in that position, and fortunately I am able to replace blades, when I consider it necessary.

• 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, mhorlogerie said:

Screwdriver blades should be constantly adjusted to fit screws and prevent damage. 

Actually it depends on the blade, some are harder than others and require little or no maintenance, especially when used correctly.

BTW, we have a section here where most members like to introduce themselves first.

Unless you are working on the same exact screws day in and day out, wear on the blade is not relevant. I have found carbon steel blades are perhaps a bit more resistant, otherwise it is critical to first make sure your blade fits the screw slot. If you do this correctly, you will be adjusting for each (different) screw. 

• Like 1