Tarnished screws

BUSAKAZ

2 hours ago, rogart63 said:

How do you mean? Doesn't the other parts looks tarnished also? Or do you use some other stuff for screws? 

no it all goes in together but the gear train is brass on this pocket watch and the plates are nickel if that makes sense the only thing that is steel are the screws.

I think some of the impurities/oxide/whatever from the brass and nickel parts in the solution are reacting with the steel of the screws...I wonder is a chemist among us can shed some light on this...could the culprit be the nickel?

9 minutes ago, bobm12 said:

I think some of the impurities/oxide/whatever from the brass and nickel parts in the solution are reacting with the steel of the screws...I wonder is a chemist among us can shed some light on this...could the culprit be the nickel?

is this not a common thing when using water then.

24 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I never used water with any of the watch cleaning fluid. You have the proper rinsing solutions for that. Stick to that and you wont have trouble.

ok can you list the things I need plz and I take it is suitable for a ultrasonic cleaner.

If you should clean the screws which i seldom do? If they are very dirty i clean then in solution in a cup before i put them in the movement. And then use Rodico as a last cleaner? 

In the old days they polished each screw before putting them back into the movement. So i have read :) If the slot  where damaged in any way. 

Seen special tools for that.