Index arm

Hi

I'm very new to this site having just found it.

My question is , My Elgin 1893 hunter case Pocket watch is running fast. When I went to adjust it I noticed the index arm moves very easily. If I tap on the case it moves. Should I tighten the two screws on the 'top balance end piece" if so how much?  Or The Balance Cock screw?

With a handshake TimFitz

Welcome TimFitz,

If you can get pics posted, might be easier to help, some folks east of atlantic have slightly different terms for watchparts and functions, (not that this is bad) just trying to reduce chance for confusion, also movement model number would greatly appreciated, The two screws on "top balance end piece", might be cap jewel screws, would affect timing, but unlikely cause for fast running, if cap jewel screws were loose, it probably wouldn't run at all, Or very poorly. Did you service this? Clean and overhaul??

Thanks,

Dave

7 minutes ago, TimFitz said:

The index arm can be moved very easily from fast to slow. The movement has been cleaned & serviced (not by me) here is a photo. 

Why not bringing it back to the watchmaker to set it right.

59 minutes ago, jdm said:

Why not bringing it back to the watchmaker to set it right.

Agree w/jdm, that would be my first choice, most watch repair persons warranty their repairs, some 6 months, some up to a year after repair.  Adjusting tension on regulator isn't something I'd even attempt, it should move with firmness, well you know not easily! Nice watch, BTW, thanks for sharing.

Would of been helpful if you stated how fast the watch is running? In a 24 hour period .

If it's running very fast the watch may be magnetised or the hair spring has been oil contaminated. In any case the balance assembly needs to come out and looked at. Take it back to your watchmaker !

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It was running over an hour fast in 11 hours. I took out the balance assembly,discovered the spring was stuck together, unstuck it, then demagnetized it. Now it's keeping time, as good as can be expected for a watch over 100 years old.

Thanks Everyone who made suggestions. In future I will give as much information as possible.

newhunter5.JPG

• Like 1