My Bulova Precisionist Review

DJW

Bulova 96B155 Champlain Precisionist Diver Review

Well, the watch arrived today and I couldn’t be more Happy! It is a very impressive watch for the money that I paid…$169! I would be happy with it if I paid twice that amount!

Anyway, I took some detailed pictures of the watch to share with you guys (and gals)!

The Construction is first rate I must say. It’s about 46mm in diameter, so it’s a big fella! I like big watches anyway. The watch is pretty heavy, even with just a rubber strap @ 122 grams. The case is a nice mix of polished and brushed surfaces.

post-90-0-37040600-1400095907_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-99140800-1400095909_thumb.jpg

The lugs are kind of cool in that they have an inlay of Carbon Fiber with a deep coating of a clear protectant of some kind.

post-90-0-31680300-1400095909_thumb.jpg

The crown has a really attractive “Twisted” knurl that really helps when screwing down the crown. It also has the same carbon fiber treatment just like the lugs.

post-90-0-74661500-1400095908_thumb.jpg

The unidirectional bezel is very precise and has 60 clicks. Although, I could do without the fake Allen head screws around the bezel.  

post-90-0-14646500-1400095908_thumb.jpg

The dial is So Much better in person! There is an extreme level of detail with the markers. There are also 7 polished screws around the dial, 4 on the second’s chapter and 3 in the center. I’m not sure if they actually hold anything together, but it’s a nice mechanical touch.  As with the lugs, there is a Carbon Fiber Treatment on the dial too. The Black Date fits the look as well.  It’s a smart looking design if you ask me!

post-90-0-75275400-1400095911_thumb.jpg

The hands are pretty impressive as well. They are reminiscent of the Omega Sea-master diver’s watches and have a Brushed Steel look. I also like the contrast of the Red Sweep second hand.

The rubber strap is pretty nice as well, although it does feel a little stiff and thin. The Tang buckle has the same finishing treatment as the case.

post-90-0-54818600-1400095910_thumb.jpg

All in All, it’s a well-made watch! And, I think it is actually a decent deal even at the retail price of $525.

post-90-0-16175700-1400095911_thumb.jpg

So, I’m ecstatic at paying only what I did!

Here's a short Video of the sweep second hand on this watch...Make sure you set it to 1080p and go Full Screen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hglODFTFBM

DJW

A nice looking watch,  sort of rugged looking.  Presumably it does not use the old Bulova tuning fork system but a modern quartz type?

Yes indeed, it's quartz movement, but with 3 prongs and vibrates 16 times faster than a regular quartz. So, instead of one tic per second, it tics 16 times per second. It also uses a very large lithium battery that should last about 2-3 years. I've read elsewhere that this battery lasts 8-10 years in other quartz movements.