Start of a collection......

mcass

I have always loved watches. I've never really had anything worth calling a "collection" before. Rather they were all just quartz "beaters". They wouldn't last long at all and I'd toss one and get another. I've always said I wanted to start collecting watches as well as learn how to work on them. Mechanical watches have always been my favorite even though I had never had one. They are absolutely amazing. Now at 45 I have finally begun. Since February I have gotten 3 watches that I really like. They aren't Omegas or Rolex, maybe someday but definitely out of my price range right now. The first one was actually an estate find and was the fuse that made me finally start something I had talked many years about doing. Some of you have probably seen it on another thread I have had going. It is a 1968 Bulova Oceanographer Super Waterproof that I have just finished restoring. I bought it for $12.00 and have about another $20.00 in it. I don't have any idea what it's worth but I am very pleased with it. The 2nd is a Russian Zarja with a Poljot 3105 movement that I found on eBay. It grabbed my eye right away namely because of the subdial, and red hands on black face. I've come to find out that the red hands were actually colored with a felt tip pen because the gold began showing through just a couple of weeks after I got it. I started to sit down the other night and paint the hands permanently  but found a small amount of rust on the dial screws. I have since torn it down and it is now my second project. The third one is a Vostok Kommendirski. After getting the Zarja, I began reading up a little more on Russian watches and find their history interesting. Love the look of this Vostok I found on eBay as well. The previous owner was selling as is for parts or repair and I thought I could maybe figure it out. Turned out that the main spring winding gear head come loose. Tightened the screw down and she is ticking like a charm.  So with all of that, here is my collection....

Bulova Oceanographer AFTER.JPG

Zarja 3105.JPG

Vostok Kommandirskie.JPG

Ive really enjoyed this one. Thinking about getting an Amphibia too. I wish I could figure out what year this one is. I think its fairly new but really don't know enough about them yet to tell. Also from what I have understood is many people that have these and amphibias like to change dials, straps, and bezels. I dont think that has happened to this one though but it does seem like customizing them happens quite frequently.