Heuer Jacky Ickx Eb8420

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• This is my method too and I would recommend it. A nice, deep, jar with IPA (they sometimes try to escape from these too) and a fine haired, soft artist's brush is perfect for small springs and screws. I never put spring in the cleaning baskets. Larger screws can go in the baskets as it helps keep them together with the other parts I am cleaning. These deep jars are also perfect for jewels. I keep them in the jar of IPA when they need a bit of scrubbing with peg wood to stop them pinging into orbit. 
    • I also assumed that oil stones needed oil, is this a common misperception? 
    • I agree with a lot of this post. First of all, particularly with older movements, replacing the spring is a good idea, for a number of reasons, depending on the age of the movement and the material the original spring is made from. You can also buy a lot of new springs for the price of a Bergeon set of winders.  I also agree with the point about buying a small selection of Bergeon winders. 5,6 and 7 RH are going to be the ones you use the most, so you could start with that. IMO the Chinese metal arbor winders are actually pretty good and, I find, they do get some use. You can also reuse the handle from the Chinese set on the Bergen winders which goes a way to paying for the Chinese set. I have both (including a size 0-6 generic Bergeon + an additional size 7 L and R) and a Chinese set, that I started with.  One thing to note is that the Bergeon set is not a panacea. I expect a lot of people have been frustrated buying the full set only to find, after spending over £600, that the first barrel they come across doesn't fit any of the arbors or the arbor that fits has a barrel too small for the spring (I've been there!). Remember, it is generic, and isn't going to be a perfect fit, there's often a tradeoff. An option is to find the the arbor that fits and then find the next winder barrel up. They usually work ok, without too much slop.
    • Hi I had an iIWC that some one Blu tacked the batters in and had same proble. But careful attention to the seam with a one sided blade made enough inroads to get the knife in. Just be careful wear a glove .
    • I would just splash water on it or soak it in water for about 15 minutes.