Alpha crown and winder replacement

Hi,

I've just started to fix and replace movements in watches and have a pretty extensive collection, I've noticed that the crown and wonder has disappeared from my Alpha, how do I replace it? I don't have any measurements or know what type I need, anyone know?

Also I've been practicing crown removals but have been unsuccessful with quartz movements, the YouTube tutorials were great for automatics but no quartz?? Any tips there?

Thanks!

Rob

Edited by RobMayer
spelling error

Hi Rob, could you post a picture of the problem area? -- and if possible of an original same model of the watch showing the crown?  When you don't have an original crown and are looking for one, it is beneficial to:

1/ find a picture of the model to get an idea what you will be looking for

2/ measure the place where the crown usually fits in to estimate the diameter and height of the replacement one before ordering...if a direct replacement is not available (by the model of the watch as this is a case part).

3/ Also, do you have the stem? Otherwise, you need to know the movement caliber to order one and fit it to the new crown. The thread is also an issue when ordering the crown (most important).

Cheers,

Bob

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• It is called a Garnish 
    • Yes, Mine has a support for the blade that can be safely hit like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-62841-Tradesman-Knife/dp/B0044D9MC6/ref=sr_1_37?crid=3HWJF1HL4J8D7&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.X58oai8WcFho_-XqfR-lLQbU8lQKhf1vtFKAWbXR4EAhqVWR_eMy5h1DhaCULvkpA6XT0GaNFLHt_kJ0kPrhXFo0nYd8yJ4JgruoXDG9XjViAQOyAiBUkOhC9W9qQfGr0SMKpxIUrGOBkTjtTPTuM9IOTnb-dEAzbcZVvniVcEuMFGK9SITyDO6ryUU8ERkHt8f2Vy9Ks0QFO06KSJz65C2p7S3o2lOaUoO9kw61KyNtaaYYwdZzyuM2uRywODaigUn0u8RHMPR0dOa3WSrq8vE1iV5Et_561SFfvkhSGTQ.9QrdWVoCJpLVkrflNS1sxaY56ys4iiJspEFpUgLIRdg&dib_tag=se&keywords=stanley+knife&qid=1716289527&sprefix=stanley+knife%2Caps%2C77&sr=8-37 I use a brass hammer. You could use a very light pin hammer. A watchmaker's hammer would be a bit too light to use. I'm not sure of the weight, but looking at Cousins, it looks like a 60 or 84g brass hammer. I would go with the 84g one. A lot of the process is about feel, so you don't damage the case or bezel. Don't twist the tool! You may think it would make it easier and quicker, but that's when the damage starts to happen and be especially careful around the lugs. Once you have done a couple, you'll get a feel of it. Some bezels feel like they're not coming off and you start to doubt what you are doing. The trick is to be deliberate in your actions, rather than tentative. If you perform this task with the total belief that the bezel is coming off, that is exactly what will happen. First, be totally sure that the bezel comes off in the way you expect.   Rub the blade against a piece of 400 grit wet and dry until blunt
    • I do like the idea of clocks , you get so much more for your money than you do when buying a watch.
    • No but I have taken it out of its case to make sure all is well. 
    • I read recently that there are almost 600 different patterns of overcoil.