Honest Honey, I Know What I'm Doing.

I have been collecting for a number of years. I don't necessarily warn my wife, (of 27 years) , that I have intentions of buying, I just buy it. Having said that, I was at an estate sale a year or so and I spotted a couple of quartz Tags, both men's and ladies. Now they were asking $270 USD for the pair. Both in good shape with minimal wear. So I bought them on the spot. When she got home from work I showed them to her, and of course the first words were "how much?" I told her and needless to say she was a bit skeptical. But what I did do FIRST was check out how much the watches were selling for, BEFORE I bought them. Both stainless 18kt plated links, the women's was a GMT look alike. So, I put the men's out on the bay with BIN of $300, came with box, instructions, etc. and within a day or so, it was sold. Bottom line a "free" ladies Tag. She'll never question my ability to spot a bargain, especially since I'm pretty frugal, (okay cheap) when it comes to buying. So share any stories, good, bad or indifferent with your significant other. Or just bargains you have obtained.

• Like 3

Once, when we were recently married, my wife and I wandered into a thrift store.  I look up on an odd shelf and spot a familar shape and logo. Without hesitation, I grabbed it from the shelf and went to the front of the store and sat it before the guy at the counter. It had no price on it so I ask how much. He pauses and says $20, and half a picosecond later, he has a $20 bill in his hand and into the register. Its all I can do not to chortle. 

My wife them walks up and asked how much I had spent. When I told her $20, she looked shocked and complained to the guy that $20 was our *entire* thrift shopping budget for the day and if he would *please* give us $5 back so we could go on to another thrift store or two. He dutifully reaches into the register, pulls out $5 and gives it to her. I was amazed, but knew to keep quiet. 

If you knew my wife, you would understand how she could get away with this...I let HER do all the negotiating.  :-) 

Oh, and what was it? A Nikon stereo microscope, in excellent condition but missing one eyepiece. We flipped it on eBay for $825, enough to catch us up on our mortgage. :-) 

Ah, the good old days...

• Like 4