4 Drops Of Oil

avkxyz

I would use the oil as a hand moisturizer :-)

Putting oil in a dirty watch will produce an abrasive sludge that will accelerate wear on the movement. 

I suppose you could *cover* the movement in oil to prevent rust, but in that case you shouldn't let it run!

• Like 1

Another I got that can happen is if the old oil has turned to hard varnish, the new oil will eventually soak into it and make it swell. When this happens, the expanding varnish grips the pivots and stops the watch, this may take a week or two to manifest. This happened to me in my early days of watch servicing, all the parts had been through the ultrasonic cleaner, but there was still residue in the jewels that I had not seen. I won't make that mistake again

• Like 1

Without service a watch, If only gives you 4 drops of oil to lubricate a movement, where should I apply the oil to? 

thank you

Lubricate pallet jewels face and balance pivots. Check a real example at http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/3566-another-poor-seiko-pattern/

I do not marry the "always complete service" mantra, real life and the risk of of "mishaps" happening while trying to worship the theory taught me better.

Edited by jdm