Movement Removal

Good Morning,

I have an inexpensive watch that belongs o my son. The hands have come off and I would like to reset them. The problem I am having is the dial will not come out the back of the case. I believe i must remove the bezel to lift the crystal. If so, how do I do it. Here are some pictures. Any advice would be great.

post-769-0-37751200-1451483384_thumb.jpg 

post-769-0-32801300-1451483391_thumb.jpg

post-769-0-98844300-1451483397_thumb.jpg

Edited by azwatchman

If the bezel is separate from the body of the case, then use a single sided razor blade inserted into the joint between it and the case to get it to lift. Now use a Stanley blade which is thicker to lift it a bit more. Finally use a case knife in the now large gap to lever the bezel off complete with crystal in place.

If the bezel is an integrated part of the case, replace the case back and use a large syringe to blow air into the case via the pendant tube to pop out the crystal with compressed air. Make sure you have a good tight seal between the tube and syringe.

That is very sound advise from Geo and the proper way to do front loaders!

Also, check the back, from the picture it seems that there is a ring holding down the dial. There also seems to be enough room to extract the movement and dial. Sometimes, there is a ring in the back that either turns or the movement turns (rotates) and allows for removal from the back only in a certain position. In your case, that ring may be in the way of the dial so it may come out again by rotating (and unscrewing it ) completely.

In any case, let us know how you fare!

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Looked again and I think that indentation on the first picture, on top, -- looks like a semi circle,-- that is where a ring or (usually plastic) "adapter" is fit (by pressure) to hold down everything. So, there may not be any need to rotate anything. It all should come up after it is dislodged from that indentation...or maybe it is the ring we were talking about before! :)

• Like 1