Poljot 2612.1 hairspring

Both ends of the Poljot 2612.1 hairspring were "secured" with some kind if crappy glue. They came loose when I was straightening the spring. I placed all parts on the balance cock and used liquid shellac (dissolved in a bit of alcohol) to attach them again. I found using liquid shellac works easier then heating the solid stuff. The job is already fiddly enough without the need for a heatsource as well, but you need to be patient as it takes a few days for the liquid shellac to fully harden.

20240526_160532.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, caseback said:

Both ends of the Poljot 2612.1 hairspring were "secured" with some kind if crappy glue. They came loose when I was straightening the spring. I placed all parts on the balance cock and used liquid shellac (dissolved in a bit of alcohol) to attach them again. I found using liquid shellac works easier then heating the solid stuff. The job is already fiddly enough without the need for a heatsource as well, but you need to be patient as it takes a few days for the liquid shellac to fully harden.

20240526_160532.jpg

Good stuff caseback, nail varnish can work but you have to be super quick with it as it sets fast straight out of the bottle, though you can thin it down. Just needs a bit of tweeking on that kneebend to straighten out the endcurve and to align the collet.  Looking good up to now though 👍

I recently bought some UV activated resin. I bought it for fixing glasses, but it would work well in this case. It's great to work with. You have quite a long time to work (if you stay out of sunshine) before it sets - I use a cheap UV torch. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

I recently bought some UV activated resin. I bought it for fixing glasses, but it would work well in this case. It's great to work with. You have quite a long time to work (if you stay out of sunshine) before it sets - I use a cheap UV torch. 

I'm assuming thats just a single resin Mike that just uses uv as the activator.

30 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I'm assuming thats just a single resin Mike that just uses uv as the activator.

That's right RIch. In sunlight it hardens in 5-10mins, and 2-4 mins under UV light. It can be dissolved with acetone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

That's right RIch. In sunlight it hardens in 5-10mins, and 2-4 mins under UV light. It can be dissolved with acetone. 

If you're happy with it, does yours have a brand name. I've used two part epoxy glue in the past which was rubbish, when set was still a bit soft and peels away easily.