1 hour ago, mikepilk said:

I only watched the start, but he's out on magnification by a factor of 10. It's 7X to 45X, not 450X

Oh weird! I saw this video months ago and made this exact comment on it. Or at least I thought I did, because I don't see it.

I noted that at 450x you'd be able to see individual blood cells.

On 5/5/2024 at 6:09 PM, mikepilk said:

I only watched the start, but he's out on magnification by a factor of 10. It's 7X to 45X, not 450X

I would guess a simple mistake, I took it he meant 45, any thoughts on the scope?

2 hours ago, Chief said:

I just watched this yesterday! Making me jealous! I'm still using a loupe wedged in my eye socket 🤣 definitely putting one of these on my Christmas list

Do, write a nice letter to Santa. I do all disassembly and assembly under the microscope. I consider it a necessity.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

Do, write a nice letter to Santa. I do all disassembly and assembly under the microscope. I consider it a necessity.

How do you find the working distance from microscope lens to movement? Is it comfortable enough to get tools in?

2 hours ago, Chief said:

How do you find the working distance from microscope lens to movement? Is it comfortable enough to get tools in?

More than enough. Here's mine at the height I work at. I think the working distance with the included 0.5x Barlow lens is about 9".

IMG_20240506_202446.thumb.jpg.20446ddc5d5ee704d6101f83393ea184.jpg

So yes, that halves the magnification. The full story is the objective lens goes from 0.7x to 4.5x. The eyepieces are 10x, giving you the advertised magnification of 7x-45x.

However the working distance is unacceptably short, so it comes with an 0.5x Barlow lens, reducing the magnification range to 3.5x-22.5x, but giving you a good working distance.

What I did was buy a pair of Extreme Widefield 20x Eyepieces for when I need more magnification. You keep your high working distance, but get your 45x magnification back, at the cost of some width of field.

image.png.175b5688e765095c043b7d92c1226f40.png

• Like 3

I agree, game changer. I watched Alex's video as well. Another thing to consider is the adjustability of chair to bench and the head of the scope so that at max height is not above your eye level. I got the trinocular port for the camera but did not get a good enough camera and have not figured out how to run it though my laptop to make videos or just take stills through the scope, yet.20231029_0947003.thumb.jpg.729e431e723040e3847dced6ffb209ad.jpg

Get a couple of elbow pads, these are inexpensive and have sticky back, but I don't have them stuck down and can move them around.

20240405_114930~4.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Razz said:

I agree, game changer. I watched Alex's video as well. Another thing to consider is the adjustability of chair to bench and the head of the scope so that at max height is not above your eye level. I got the trinocular port for the camera but did not get a good enough camera and have not figured out how to run it though my laptop to make videos or just take stills through the scope, yet.20231029_0947003.thumb.jpg.729e431e723040e3847dced6ffb209ad.jpg

Get a couple of elbow pads, these are inexpensive and have sticky back, but I don't have them stuck down and can move them around.

20240405_114930~4.jpg

Chair height is not usually an issue unless you under 5' 2" lol.  The thing to watch out for is a draw in your bench above your knees.

On 5/7/2024 at 1:33 AM, ManSkirtBrew said:

More than enough. Here's mine at the height I work at. I think the working distance with the included 0.5x Barlow lens is about 9".

IMG_20240506_202446.thumb.jpg.20446ddc5d5ee704d6101f83393ea184.jpg

So yes, that halves the magnification. The full story is the objective lens goes from 0.7x to 4.5x. The eyepieces are 10x, giving you the advertised magnification of 7x-45x.

However the working distance is unacceptably short, so it comes with an 0.5x Barlow lens, reducing the magnification range to 3.5x-22.5x, but giving you a good working distance.

What I did was buy a pair of Extreme Widefield 20x Eyepieces for when I need more magnification. You keep your high working distance, but get your 45x magnification back, at the cost of some width of field.

image.png.175b5688e765095c043b7d92c1226f40.png

Whats your field of view with these please msb ?

8 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Whats your field of view with these please msb ?

At the lowest magnification, I can just get all of a normal wristwatch size movement in field. For some things it's too much magnification, but the nice thing about the eyepieces is they only take seconds to swap in and out.

I'm genuinely surprised I've never read about anyone else doing it, to be honest.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

I'm genuinely surprised I've never read about anyone else doing it, to be honest.

I think maybe we're all a bit dim @ManSkirtBrew 🤣

99% of the time I'm working with the 0.5X Barlow, so mags from 3.5X to 22.5X. When I need a close up of a pivot or jewel, I take the Barlow out, and even put in the 2X Barlow, but it's a nuisance.

So like you, I had that D'oh moment, why don't I just use 20X eyepieces (WF20X/10). They take seconds to change, and you keep the working distance. The only downsides are lower field of view, and less brightness.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

I think maybe we're all a bit dim @ManSkirtBrew 🤣

99% of the time I'm working with the 0.5X Barlow, so mags from 3.5X to 22.5X. When I need a close up of a pivot or jewel, I take the Barlow out, and even put in the 2X Barlow, but it's a nuisance.

So like you, I had that D'oh moment, why don't I just use 20X eyepieces (WF20X/10). They take seconds to change, and you keep the working distance. The only downsides are lower field of view, and less brightness.  

Does anyone use the x5 eyepieces,  when i use them on my different amscope , the magnification changes to x5 but the field of view remains exactly the same as the x10, so nothing gained. The optical lenses can't be swapped out or at least they are not available as far as i know. 

17153527086725632132864425902254.jpg