Pocket Watch Full Top Plate Instillation - Getting The Lever In The Potence

klinej54

I always have a moment of stress when reassembling a full plate pocket watch.  Getting the lever into the potence is so tricky particularly if I have the lever in the pillar plate before I install the top plate.  I've tried slipping the lever into the potence and holding it in place with a bit of rodico before I install the top plate, then lowering the top plate into position.  I've had some luck with that, but I'm sure its not the way it should be done.  Suggestions?

Standing by

jk

As luck would have it, after I posted the above, I came across this GeneJockey's Elgin blog post  describing his process for re-assembling a full plate pocket watch.  He recommends building up the watch off the top plate instead of the pillar plate.  Makes sense, I guess, although I've never seen it done that way.  On the other hand, a quick scan of YouTube does not yet a large number of full plate pocket watch assemble videos.

http://gjselgins.blogspot.com/2015_06_01_archive.html

My Chicago School of Watch Watchmaking manual does not address full plate assembly.  Neither does me Elgin Watchmakers College Fundamentals of Watchmaking Watch Repair course.

Edited by klinej54