I just serviced a new ST36 movement to get it well oiled and ready to put into a new case. 
Everything went fine - oiled both incaclocs and reinserted them. When I put the balance wheel in it swung freely and engaged the palette fork, so I inserted the screw into the balance bridge and tightened it. When I did the balance stopped moving. As I loosend the screw on the bridge about a quarter turn it started moving again with good amplitude. 
I have a feeling this is a common issue but I have no idea what is wrong. Is it possible to overtighten the bridge screw, or is something rubbing on something?  Any clues or advice is as always really appreciated. 

Turns out it was the incabloc. Not sure if the jewel was upside down on if it just wasn’t centred on the pivot. I took it out and the watch worked fine. So I cleaned and re-oiled it and carefully reinserted it, and everything works fine now. Problem solved. 

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I remembered that when Lititz Watch Technicum's YouTube channel existed, they had a video about polishing. As I recall, many experts thought that video was among the best on the subject of polishing. It's a real shame that their videos are no longer available and I've been in touch with them regularly to see if they can get these videos back. Unfortunately, it seems that these videos are gone forever. The last message I received from them on 21 January read: "I'm sorry, but not yet. In a nutshell: the school is scheduled to be shut down next year - a new school is bring opened in Dallas, Texas. Because of that all video access is blocked. If a decision is made to not close the school, then at some point the videos will likely be made available. We just do not know that yet. So, just check in again in a month or three; sorry I can't be more specific than that." Well, as I recall, there was a section in the video that was about how to preserve the edges of a watch case, that is, how to avoid rounding off the edges when using a mop wheel. I don't remember all the details but what I do remember is that it's about keeping a high speed on the mop wheel and keeping a light pressure on it. I didn't think of this when I was polishing the case back but the next time I'll try it and see what difference it makes.
    • Good idea, I  was thinking of something similar but using a drill press.  Apologies, all the other comments have just appeared.  I was replying to @HectorLooi , the chain pusher is a good idea too.
    • Now thats a real man's tool press 👍. I have one just like it in my back garden for when just CANT fix a watch . Its not something i have had to do yet, @Waggybut wouldn't any type of press be able to do this ? What about an adapted chain link  extractor work or a micrometer with some sleeve pushers made to slot over the ends. @Waggy Found something that could work Scott, comes with different size pins and pushers. Only bit that would need making is a round former to support the inside of the case, a piece of stout timber, bit of oak or mdf might do it. What i like about this one is the pin is pushed in, its in a sliding sleeve so it doesn't turn while its being driven. This has 4 pin sizes and 3 stumps as well so it will come in for other applications, the pins could be adapted to take other accessories from jewelling tools. I've just ordered one myself for some play time. 
    • So I purchased this one based on my case number being listed. (Unless my case number is incorrect. The last digits are faint)
    • I have the same tool from AliExpress and get the same anxiety when when using it. But you have to admit it looks awesome on your tool shelf. Makes you look like a pro. 🤣 Looking at the photo of the Horotec tool, it looks equally flimsy. It probably comes from the same factory. I was thinking of using the pushers supplied with the tool and making a hand tool from a cranked jeweller's punch. I'll grind off the tip of the punch and drill a hole at the end to fit the pusher in. The cranked shank would be able to clear the watch case give a straight in-line axis to exert force to tap the pendant tube out. Should be robust enough to last several lifetimes. I wonder why nobody makes it. 🤔