Stopwatch-Excelsior Park movement, How to remove hands?

I posted this same request for help on another site, but thought I'd ask here too.

I'm working on my late fathers stopwatch which had a broken seconds hand shaft.
I was able to source a doner watch for the parts I needed and got everything running, but the old hand will not fit onto the new shaft
I would like to swap the cam that the seconds hand is mounted to, but the hand is mounted very tightly.
Any hints on how to remove the hands from the cam mounts, (Sorry I do not know the proper name of this part).

I could possibly turn down or polish the seconds hand shaft, but I really don't want to do this, or I could just use the dial and hands from the doner watch, but I'd much rather use the dial and hands from my dads watch.
Someone has to know how to remove these hands for doing dial replacements  Some kind of wedge tool?

Thanks for any insight here,

Bill

P2250051.JPG

P2250052.JPG

P2250053.JPG

12 minutes ago, BillM said:

I posted this same request for help on another site, but thought I'd ask here too.

I wonder if I could just copy and paste the answer from the other group? It would save time for me writing it again. Then I did find your picture I need to post a picture of the other discussion. Then just a reminder some people don't use the same identity everywhere the other group they tend to use real names sometimes.

Now even though the discussion uses the word chronograph it really applies to stopwatches. The heart-shaped cam is attached to the hands with the extreme force. So when you're removing the dial the hands and the heart-shaped cams go with the dial there held on with a little spring onto the driveshaft.

The reason they go on with considerable force is in the case of a stopwatch the hands are really big and long and have a lot of mass and when they come to a rapid stop on reset if their word on super title start moving around. This unfortunately also means that removing them can be a bit of a challenge. The picture isn't exactly what I remembered I remembered something a little different but you get the idea. Similar to conventional hand removers something goes underneath but a center pin pushes the heart-shaped cam out of the hand. Probably makes more sense to look at the picture than my description.

image.png.6885b12bac2a17197874b6c66340b60a.png

• Like 3

20 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

I wonder if I could just copy and paste the answer from the other group? It would save time for me writing it again. Then I did find your picture I need to post a picture of the other discussion. Then just a reminder some people don't use the same identity everywhere the other group they tend to use real names sometimes.

Did I offend you by admitting that I posted this question on another site?  I apologize if I did. I just figured the more people who read my question the better chance I have in finding a solution to the problem Im trying to solve.  
I appreciate your time, and value your knowledge .  
thank you   

1 hour ago, BillM said:

Did I offend you by admitting that I posted this question on another site?  I apologize if I did

. No apology is not required. You did not offend me or bother me. Other than if I'm answering the question I get the answer the question twice. I just point out that I was the person in the other discussion. It just ends up being weird for me if I answer the question in both groups. But don't worry you're not the first to do that there are people here that are on both groups and people in other groups. It just seems strange when I'm answering a question and identical question on both groups so don't worry you just did fine I was just pointing out to get the same answer over there. And in that particular case on the other discussion group I was trying to remember where the picture was which I found for this question not sure if I ever got the other picture in the other discussion though?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Sorry i didnt follow up sooner. 
The Bergeon 5060 Screw-Type Hand Remover  works great!  
I was able to remove the hands and replace the cam and put everything back as designed.  
It looks great and works great!

Sorry, I seem to have lost the photos of the tool in use, but here’s the finished stopwatch. 

IMG_7106.jpeg

Edited by BillM
  • Like 3