Accutron missing dial feet--proposed solution

Background:  Somebody sent me an "Accutron" that was a gift many years ago.  Somewhere along the way, the Accutron died and somebody replaced it with an NH35.  It, of course was too thick, so they removed the auto wind oscillating weight. Ouch!!!  Since the dial feet did not match, they cut them off the Accutron dial and used sticky tabs to attach the dial to the NH35.  What a frigging abomination!!!!

Anyway, this "somebody" sent me two accutron movements in hopes that I could return the watch to its former glory.  OMG, these were hacked up as well.  But!!! I was able to make one functioning movement.  Cleaned, oiled, and soon to be adjusted.

The BIG issue now is the dial.  I am pretty sure I cannot solder feet on the dial.  I did give it a try.  No bueno.

Here is my idea.  Drill holes through the dial where the dial feet belong.  Then insert and glue posts (feet).  I checked the visibility of the dial through the crystal and the drill holes would not be visible.

Thoughts??

image.png.5b189908e753c1911ced5b668190e36d.png

Edited by LittleWatchShop

16 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

How much is hidden on the face side of the dial. Could you form a head, like a nail, on the feet to give more surface area for the glue?

It would be close.  But these Accutron dials are relatively thick.  I think there would be enough surface area to make a good bond.

• Like 1

I went for it. Turned these feet on the lathe

image.png.944574736394c3b7f55f5bab166f262c.png

image.png.5cd9cc84df91b7e7e7212896aa1769cd.png

1 hour ago, eccentric59 said:

dial foot repair tools

I have one of these.  However, the Accutron dial makes an abrupt curve near the edge where the foot goes.  This tool/feet would not work.  I could have opted not to drill all the way through the dial.  If I had a visibility issue, I would have done that.

• Like 3