Omega 865 Chronostop Parts Advice

DJT2

Morning chaps, unfortunately being a truck driver I'm away all week. So no further on with my chronostop xl project.

However, the reason for this thread is advice on a purchase I can make. I've been offered another chronostop cal 865 without balance bridge & balance wheel for what I think is a bargain price of £10063909e033df892c90f9374f767856e6e.jpg1c52a5e9b8215d2ed12c28e9f547083c.jpg

What I'm trying to discover is would it be a feasible project as 865 parts are so damn expensive.

My question is will a balance bridge off a cal. 861 work as I can get one for approx £25b52656a94ffc80126062aecb164c61ee.jpg57b9fea91b01210ffd0d749bafd6dd10.jpgif so would I just require the balance complete & is there any other alternative to cal 865/920. Would any balance from the 860 to 930 family work? Ie lemania etc.

Thanks I'm advance

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The Lemania 1873 balance will probably work . But they and the Omega are really expensive to buy . That is the reason why someone has stolen the balance from this movement? Are you sitting down in your truck . Around £500 from cousinsuk for a complete balance .

Edited by rogart63

Wow, just nearly crashed. If I got the bridge for 25 & watch for 100. Do you think it's worth just putting it in the spares box & hoping one turns up. Or with your experience, would you give it a miss?

• Like 1

The Lemania 1873 balance will probably work . But they and the Omega are really expensive to buy . That is the reason why someone has stolen the balance from this movement? Are you sitting down in your truck . Around £500 from cousinsuk for a complete balance .

Thanks buddy, I've decided to ditch the idea.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Thanks Ross, yes i remember the broken arbor screw you had to deal with. Dont give up, if i can drill a tiny hole in a bloody hard barrel arbor without breaking the drill bit then you'll get that screw out one day somehow .
    • Isn't it most correct to say that the mixture of radium decay pathway compounds found in old lume will produce both alpha and beta particle radiation as well as gamma rays, so it's over-simplistic to dismiss it all as low-energy particle emission? True, a cheap geiger counter chirping away with a raw CPM count won't specifically give you the relevant biological dose, but it makes it easy to tell the difference between your local background, a watch with a bit of activity, and one that is comparatively quite active. Each person can make their own risk analysis based on their understanding and concern, but there's nothing wrong with using an inexpensive meter to help make the determination.
    • A lesson I learned last month on a Junghans pocket watch where both pins were bent over like stalks of wheat in the wind. I bent them back straight, wondering what a shock the thing must have taken to somehow bend even the outside pin over. And then the escapement wouldn't unlock at all. Probably the pallet stones are too long but I'm not ready for that repair yet so I bent the pins back over and it runs 0/0.2
    • Never. Brilliant work and photographs. Thank you. On my very first watch I knackered the arbour. I think the screw I put in was the crown screw. I didn't know about left handed screws then. Head sheared off. Thread broken just below surface. If I had the space, then a lathe would be my wished purchase. 2 1/2 years later and I still get the arbour out now and again and...... I can dream. It's a lovely pocket watch. Ah well. 
    • Hello Davis. This thread is interesting. Thought I'd add my twopenneth worth. A short while ago I had a similar problem to you. Not a broken banking pin, but I did alter a banking pin. Much to the consternation of members. Rightly so. However I did as they suggested and obtained a complete donor movement and installed it into the watch. The client, who I did not charge but did the work as a project for myself, was as happy as Larry.  Can you not look for watch of the same name? A Donor watch or movement.  Keep us posted on your result please.