Tweezers sticking to small parts

Hi There, this is my first post here. I did some searching around and I apologize if this has already been covered and I was unable to uncover it 🙂 

As I said in my into, I've just gotten into the hobby and I have an ST36 movement I'm practicing on. One issue I keep running in to is my tweezers are sticking to the smallest parts. Stuff like the setting level spring screw and / or the pallet fork and pallet fork bridge screws. It doesn't seem to effect the larger stuff. I dont know how to tell if there is a static charge and Im getting some magnetic action? I've wiped my tools down with IPA several times but I dont know how else to proceed. 

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions. 

18 hours ago, levic900rr said:

Hi There, this is my first post where. I did some searching around and I apologize if this has already been covered and I was unable to uncover it 🙂 

As I said in my into, I've just gotten into the hobby and I have an ST36 movement I'm practicing on. One issue I keep running in to is my tweezers are sticking to the smallest parts. Stuff like the setting level spring screw and / or the pallet fork and pallet fork bridge screws. It doesn't seem to effect the larger stuff. I dont know how to tell if there is a static charge and Im getting some magnetic action? I've wiped my tools down with IPA several times but I dont know how else to proceed. 

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions. 

Do you know what steel your tweezers are made of ?

Great question. They're "stainless" which I know doesn't really tell the whole story. The product details say "Premium Stainless", but I'm embarrassed  to say they're 9 dollar amazon specials ( https://a.co/d/d555t6f ). Perhaps I should have spent more... I just assumed they would wear out quicker than the real premium brands, I never considered that they would be harder to use. 

I have cheap ebay tweezers from my first set. I do two things often. Demagnetise and keep them 'dressed', sharpened. The demagnetiser cost me £10. A honing stone cost me £3. that's it. 

Press the red button on the magnetiser, Demagnetise the tweezers by lifting them off the base ad going up. Release the red button. Repeat twice. 

Dressing. Using my magnifying glasses to confirm what I think I see. Shape and form the points. Dress all four edges and then gently removes burs. Job done.

I use a pair of curved brass tweezers when  working on an expensive watch that might show scratches. These were a massive £3 also. And, I do keep them dressed.

Would I like high end tools. Of course, but to what end would it make my work better and this stage of my learning curve I ask myself?

My standards are getting better by practice, not by high end tools. 

This is a great hobby

• Like 6

1 hour ago, rossjackson01 said:

I have cheap ebay tweezers from my first set. I do two things often. Demagnetise and keep them 'dressed', sharpened. The demagnetiser cost me £10. A honing stone cost me £3. that's it. 

Press the red button on the magnetiser, Demagnetise the tweezers by lifting them off the base ad going up. Release the red button. Repeat twice. 

Dressing. Using my magnifying glasses to confirm what I think I see. Shape and form the points. Dress all four edges and then gently removes burs. Job done.

I use a pair of curved brass tweezers when  working on an expensive watch that might show scratches. These were a massive £3 also. And, I do keep them dressed.

Would I like high end tools. Of course, but to what end would it make my work better and this stage of my learning curve I ask myself?

My standards are getting better by practice, not by high end tools. 

This is a great hobby

Awesome advice, I ordered an inexpensive demagnetiser today. Hoping that does the trick. Otherwise I've been happy with the performance of the set I have. The fit nicely in my hand and I can manipulate the parts well. 

Thanks everyone! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

well, make sure the inside of the tweezer is clean, goes without saying, I have two types of demagnetizers, one is a coil type that you hold/put inside and push a button to energize then pull it away to remove the magnetism, the other you lay/hold the item on top and push a button and hear a pop, both work as they should but do not put a hairspring in the coil type......

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure to demagnetize it several times in several orientations if you are using the cheap little blue one.

When working on a dirty movement, even my bronze tweezers get really sticky after each part it seems. I just stick them in a blob of rodico between parts to get the dirt and old oil off.