need help to open this swiss army watch caseback

hi guys,

I have a swiss army branded watch that I'd like to the open the caseback, it seems to be a screw-on type but I'm having difficulty to open it.  I've tried a cheap watch wrench, as well as a Timelap friction ball I recently purchased.  both failed to open the caseback.  I've looked up the watch number on the Victorinox site to find what type of caseback it has, but it doesn't produce any result.

any advice would be appreciated!

IMG_20231205_102041.jpg

IMG_20231205_102056.jpg

Edited by erdos
pic

For watches with high water resistance (300m as in your case) they tend to really crank on the case backs making them difficult to open. Water resistance is a whole other topic as 300m does not mean 300m, but I digress. So it's not surprising that the ball didn't have enough grip to open the case back, I would also avoid using any budget wrench type tools as this is a good way to scratch up your case back. You may have no option but to open it with a heavy duty tool like the one below, these are expensive - especially if you are only looking to open the one watch, so maybe you could try and talk a local watchmaker into opening it for you with their tool? Chronoglide YouTube channel did a video on tools to open watch case backs, so may be worth a look. Here is the tool I was talking about above:

image.png.ad402954e527e1efa172aee6f03e41ef.png

Here is the Chronoglide video:

Just a word of caution, some watches fake screw on type case backs. They make snap on case backs look like screw on backs, they even have fake dimples where you would use a tool to unscrew them - I assume that this is to make them appear more premium?? Just to be sure, please double check around the rim of your caseback where it meets the body of the case to see if there isn't a small slit/recess where you can insert a case knife.

Edited by Waggy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Might be of interest:

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/1967-how-to-open-a-victorinox-watch-case-back/

The older versions of this watch used to mimic a srewed on Rolex case back.

In your case it‘s a screwed on back very likely though!

https://youtu.be/b8PrKJNZIdE?si=9g4MIHdMUEYmhJmI

The cheapest way of screwing off these backs is glueing on a big nut with super glue and using a normal wrench. After opening you can dissolve the glue with aceton (or nail varnish remover).

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

thanks guys! 

thanks for confirming it's a screw-on caseback, since I've tried both prying it open and turning caseback as well.

since i tried both watch wrench and friction ball already, maybe it's time to look into a more proper opening tool i.e.bench watch opener, if i could get it at a reasonable price.

• 3 weeks later...

I would always go for a dedicated case back opening tool rather than the Jaxa type, as they are less likely to slip and damage the case back. You can pick up some really good quality case back opening tools off eBay like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/375149559027?hash=item5758a7fcf3%3Ag%3AgaIAAOSwZtdljV2F&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0OpyV44AlBZJgYrd6Tjmi5iqyTxuj0XSEoOQwDZwR%2FIMK1nxBisP0dyypUwQOBj1b9QGPyimmBQ0kKS1i%2BPb2XMm3LIGlmUs7NODM0rMRBYUGdlUtiD3t%2F8u9xWvyLS5jLniODxhfIGoY%2B2swW1ibRkK0WK8LCypHGmb8nnyh0QDOHIHPGzpXTlyX9lxrRqxwHf2SFKENwuSTRcHOtTER0vTl4OE3sEJru1i%2F04ltF2uvZzzRxP7lVGp0kPT3LYXMzPmYjenDiKa9cwsI5TxJVE%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4i0wueYYw&LH_ItemCondition=3000

It's best to get as many holders with the tool as possible though. I have one of these MKS tools made in Japan, as well as the Bergeon copy and prefer this, although when opening Rolex cases I go for the Beregeon copy with Horotec suction cups top and bottom

• Like 1