Outside diameter of modern Bergeon Seitz reamer spindle?

Can anyone report the outside diameter of the modern Bergeon Seitz reamer holder spindle? According to Cousins, the modern reamer shanks are 2.35mm and I am wondering if the new spindles are about 7.95mm like the older ones or if those have changed

Very inexpensively, I acquired a C&E Marshall jeweling press with its weird reamer sizes (like 1.51mm instead of 1.49mm). Since I know this will be mostly incompatible with the more readily available seitz jewels I'll probably pick up seitz reamers as needed. The old Marshall reamer spindle is about 7.9mm and reamer shanks are 3mm.

So if modern Seitz reamers are indeed 2.35mm rather than 3mm as the old ones seem to be, I'll need a new spindle. If someone can confirm the new Seitz spindle is somewhere just under 8mm I expect I can use it with the Marshall tool.

1 hour ago, mbwatch said:

Can anyone report the outside diameter of the modern Bergeon Seitz reamer holder spindle? According to Cousins, the modern reamer shanks are 2.35mm and I am wondering if the new spindles are about 7.95mm like the older ones or if those have changed

Very inexpensively, I acquired a C&E Marshall jeweling press with its weird reamer sizes (like 1.51mm instead of 1.49mm). Since I know this will be mostly incompatible with the more readily available seitz jewels I'll probably pick up seitz reamers as needed. The old Marshall reamer spindle is about 7.9mm and reamer shanks are 3mm.

So if modern Seitz reamers are indeed 2.35mm rather than 3mm as the old ones seem to be, I'll need a new spindle. If someone can confirm the new Seitz spindle is somewhere just under 8mm I expect I can use it with the Marshall tool.

Thats a bugger mate. I've got all 3 , old and modern seitz and the C&E. Indeed the reamers are smaller for the C&E which is why i got the 2 seitz. They also have no relief ground on the backside of them like the seitz reamers. Spindles are about 3-4/100 out,  CE spindle is 7.94-5 ish and both Seitz are 7.98. The seitz spindle wont push through the C&E frame. You might be able to dress one down, it will go about half inch then gets real tight sorry.

17018933901727629686110717440201.jpg

17018934134877065428541315638015.jpg

17018934294377188306545247449108.jpg

5 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Thats a bugger mate. I've got all 3 , old and modern seitz and the C&E. Indeed the reamers are smaller for the C&E which is why i got the 2 seitz. They also have no relief ground on the backside of them like the seitz reamers. Spindles are about 3-4/100 out,  CE spindle is 7.94-5 ish and both Seitz are 7.98. The seitz spindle wont push through the C&E frame. You might be able to dress one down, it will go about half inch then gets real tight sorry.

17018933901727629686110717440201.jpg

17018934134877065428541315638015.jpg

17018934294377188306545247449108.jpg

Actually the C&E reamers are bigger than the seitz, the spindle is definitely smaller. Just tried my Star spindle as well , bloody thing is stuck in the frame 😅

8 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I've got all 3 , old and modern seitz and the C&E. Indeed the reamers are smaller for the C&E which is why i got the 2 seitz.

What's the diameter of the reamer shanks on your 2 Seitz kits? I see a lot of them available on ebay with purported 3mm shanks (which I could use), but Cousins says the contemporary ones are 2.35mm.

25 minutes ago, mbwatch said:

What's the diameter of the reamer shanks on your 2 Seitz kits? I see a lot of them available on ebay with purported 3mm shanks (which I could use), but Cousins says the contemporary ones are 2.35mm.

They are tapered 2.5- 2.35

29 minutes ago, mbwatch said:

The Marshall spindle utilises a collet to hold the reamers i think ( i dont use it much ) rather than tapered reamers and a hole for a release key. Might you be able to fashion something up to take the seitz reamers. I'll have a look after I've had a cuppa.

54 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

The Marshall spindle utilises a collet to hold the reamers i think ( i dont use it much ) rather than tapered reamers and a hole for a release key. Might you be able to fashion something up to take the seitz reamers. I'll have a look after I've had a cuppa

Still more variation. My Marshall set is probably older than yours, with a cast iron frame. The reamer spindle does not have a collet and the friction fit reamers are tapered apparently 2.80mm-3.10mm. Ultimately, if all I need is a rod 7.90mm in diameter with a 3.00mm hole at one end, I can probably find a way to acquire that though I don't have a lathe.

• 5 months later...
On 12/6/2023 at 2:10 PM, Neverenoughwatches said:

The seitz spindle wont push through the C&E frame. You might be able to dress one down, it will go about half inch then gets real tight sorry.

Now that I have a need for it again, I think I'm going to give this a try. I don't have a lathe, but I just tested a broken K&D stake in a drill chuck. With 220/400/800/1000 grit sandpaper I was able to reduce it from 4.70mm to 4.65mm in about 5 minutes. Getting a consistent diameter all the way down the spindle will be challenge without a lathe but if I keep testing it in the C&E Marshall frame until it just slides through, that should be good enough for my needs. I bet I can get it to around +/-0.02mm

• Like 1