New York Standard 6s lift angle?

Why You need to know the lift angle? You probably need to know the amplitude...

See, no need to use timegrapher for amplitude reading. Amplitude is seen with You eyes, wacthing at the balance arm and nothing more needed. If You don't know how to see the amplitude, put a dot with marker on the balance rim and watch the dot movement. In the moments when balance stops and changes the direction of movement, the dot is still and clearly visible, so the amplitude is easy to determine.

On 11/14/2023 at 2:40 PM, BillM said:

As the tittle states, does anyone know the lift angle of the New York standard 6 s pocket watch?
I found a great list searching here, but it does not include the New your Standard watches. 

I have a link to the history of the New York standard below.

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/guide/companies/new-york-standard-watch-co

Here's a site that claims to have the most up-to-date listing Notice how they've excluded American watch companies?

https://watchguy.co.uk/cgi-bin/lift_angles

The reason why these lists came into existence was timing machines that could measure amplitude came into existence. Because without a timing machine the measure amplitude there would be no need for the list which is why typically will never find vintage watches almost.

Somewhere out there is my pocket watch listing when for variety of reasons I was enthusiastic and figured out the lift angle. But I don't recall ever working on a six size New York standard.

Fortunately if you really want your left angle there is a simple procedure. So the procedure is quite simple put a Mark on the balance wheel you can see. Slowly wind the watch up until you get a 180° Then adjust the lift angle in the timing machine until it reads 180°. Then you can report back to the group Just in case anyone else's curious.

• Like 1