Ladies rolex 6917 date not changing and movement rattles

Hello there I picked up a Rolex 6917 ladies date and the date is not changing and the movement isn’t staying secure whenever the crown is unscrewed. Does anyone have a idea what this could be? And it seems whenever I rotate the rotor it feels like it hits something and I have to move it back and then go forward again in order for it to move freely. This happens around the lower half of the movement. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just looking at the pictures, and I can see only 1 movement retaining screw (at 12:00  in the picture) maybe there is one obscured by the rotor at 6:00? Also, the screw at 12:00 looks domed. It would make more sense if this screw(s) were flat, but I'm not familiar with this movement - so don't take my word for it, this may be the reason for the rotor hanging up?

Now to address the elephant in the room... are you sure this watch is what it says it is? Here is a reference picture of a 6917 movement, I saw several that look like this, but none that look like yours:

image.png.273036f956f0ac79a79c0271844b03b3.png

However, like I said, I'm not that familiar with this movement so I may be speaking complete nonsense, but I think you should check it out and maybe some other members of this forum could chip in with their (more experienced) opinion.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NomaWhigham said:

Rolex 6917

That number is a Rolex reference number. To help you with the watch we need the model number you will find that somewhere on the watch itself. The model number is probably a 2035 although I have seen references now it could be a 2135 that number should be visible somewhere in the movement.

1 hour ago, Waggy said:

are you sure this watch is what it says it is?

There is this little problem the movement does not look like in 2035. It is though an interesting looking movement much nicer than what you typically find in a counterfeit watch. Ignoring the movement itself to looking at the weight like below is a picture of a 2035/2135 notice the center and compare it to the allegedly Rolex and there definitely not the same.  Then there is the other little problem of this Rolex should have the rather distinctive red color reverser wheels that you typically see on a Rolex watch.

rolex-part-oscillating-weigh-caliber-2135-2030-2130-lady-s-quick-set-movement.thumb.jpg.79397965e75b917cc46cbeac288ec8ef.jpg

1 hour ago, Waggy said:

Just looking at the pictures, and I can see only 1 movement retaining screw (at 12:00  in the picture) maybe there is one obscured by the rotor at 6:00? Also, the screw at 12:00 looks domed. It would make more sense if this screw(s) were flat, but I'm not familiar with this movement - so don't take my word for it, this may be the reason for the rotor hanging up?

if you look really carefully in the picture you can see the other movement retaining screw or at least just the edge of it so I circled both of them

image.png.3494481253e2bab4ac266825b7e230f0.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kalanag said:

The watch seems to be genuine.

Well actually this is a yes and no? The problem here is it is definitely not a

9 hours ago, NomaWhigham said:

Rolex 6917 ladies date and the date i

Did notice that to quote myself yes what bothered me was this is an interesting movement and it doesn't look like your typical counterfeit.

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

It is though an interesting looking movement much nicer than what you typically find in a counterfeit watch.

Now I'd be really curious as to how you found this because I was looking for the reference number of 6917 and your reference numbers are 6551 and 6619. Which by the way are still reference number is not the movement number which would've been helpful if we had that in the first place As that should be visible on the movement

Then with your better pictures we get something interesting

image.png.744be0fa003d80f0c8bfd4ca1e65a59b.png

Notice a different kind of mounting screw that definitely is not protruding upwards like the one in the original picture my guess is that's the problem somebody has the wrong screws and one of them is probably up a little bit catching of the rotor.

Now that we have a movement number of 1160 we can look at the parts list and see what the problem is like I don't know why they use the naming they do but I'm guessing these are the case Holders and the one way up above is totally wrong

image.png.b9f76485659126695ccb727c81702016.png

Then attaching the 1160 parts list and the base caliber 1120.

1536_Rolex 1120 NEW.pdf 1544_Rolex 1160 NEW.pdf

1 hour ago, Kalanag said:

Google Lens search for similar  pictures.

I haven't used up before but that does explain why you are able to find the watch because using the reference number was worthless. But at least they gave us a picture typically people won't even give pictures and then that becomes extremely worthless waste of time. Usually had a bewilderment to the person asking the question where it seems very straightforward to them.

• Thanks 1