1965 Bulova Accutron 214H railroad approved

Started talking about this guy in the "what watch have you got coming in the mail" thread, and thought I'd add some more pictures and info here.

Here's how it arrived to me:

20231010_115538.jpg.a9ddfd02be7e75cc392a41cb42edb134.thumb.jpg.f1653b1bfc20945f9f363bfcbfdfab8e.jpg

@JohnR725 noted that it's supposed to hack, but the mechanism is finicky and best left alone if I'm not doing a full service, which I'm not yet. It runs with a modern silver oxide battery as-is, so I'm going to run it a few days and see how she goes.

I took a peek inside to make sure it had the correct hacking movement (214H), which it did. It also had a ton of organic matter all over it, so I de-cased it and gave everything a good cleaning.

John also noted that the caseback gasket and grime could contribute to the hack not hacking it, so I replaced the hard plastic gasket that came out with the correct toothed rubber one.

20231011_200315.thumb.jpg.a6cd1a72450ad245518dda7f94c82d9b.jpg

It really cleaned up nicely. I notice now when I lift the setting bow that I hear and feel an intermittent buzzing, which I assume is the movement trying to hack but just barely failing. I suppose I'll have to take it apart at some point.

For now though, new wrist candy!

cased.thumb.jpg.a68cb61e63aafecb1cc748e9cccf4be3.jpg

wrist.thumb.jpg.2fa354cc751700fda1325f179362b909.jpg

Personally if the watches running and everything seems fine I would leave it alone. But just in case you would like to have a little fun in your life I'm attaching the instructions for installing the hack.  Then something related the various stems. Because if you are having a problem because thickness the gasket or in the case of installing on a different watch you would have to more than likely adjust the stem so you need the other Sheet. You might even find such things as just how tight you type it back down that will have an effect also ego supertype it's going to bring it in closer as he may find adjusting that ring will change the spacing and change things.

214 hack.PDF 214 stems.PDF

• Thanks 1