Specific question regarding acrylic crystal replacement for an old Wintex Leganario

This will be my first time replacing a crystal. It's a labor of love as this was my now wife's first big gift to me all the way back in college. I accept that I might ruin the watch, but, both she and I are OK with that. The watch itself is comically small for my wrist and has just sat in its box for the last 10 years.

I'm not sure if I need a watch crystal remover to install the new crystal, or just the press, or just glue? It looks to me there is glue residue there which makes me think I can just put a gasket in there and glue and be on my merry way. 

I've included shots of the broken acrylic crystal and the case. I have calipers and will purchase a crystal just smaller (or the exact same size?)PXL_20230925_215339725_MP.thumb.jpg.64c495a25233b288fc4c4a83f9523733.jpg than the opening from Esslinger, unless someone has a better option. I have a watch crystal press, and a grab bag of various tools.

Thank you in advance.

PXL_20230925_215332100.MP.jpg

No glue!

Try your best to remove any residual glue or other debris from the groove on the watch where the crystal sits, use a sharpened wooden stick - chopstick or tooth pick etc... as this will not scratch the metal - don't use any solvents or water as this can damage the dial if any accidently gets on there. The old glue/debris can get in the way of the new crystal and it will not sit correctly in the housing and pop out when you least expect it. Often people use glue when the crystal they are using is the wrong size and so glue will keep it in place, this is not a good practice as acrylic crystals are designed to be installed using friction alone.

Once the old glue is removed try re-fitting the old crystal, if you have to struggle getting it in and you hear that crisp click when it (finally) snaps into position then its the right size, if its too easy or sloppy then its the wrong size (too small).

If its the right size then measure it and get the closest size - sometimes very old acrylic can shrink slightly, so if your measurement doesn't quite match the standard sizes this may explain why and you should round UP, you should also round up if the existing crystal you have is found to be too small. A good strategy may be to order 3 crystals, one the correct size and one a size larger and one a size smaller. Crystals are relatively inexpensive and this can save you a lot of time and frustration.

Quite often you can snap in the new crystal with your fingers (50:50), but sometimes you need to use a tool, perhaps the easiest and cheapest option is a crystal lift tool, rather than describe how to use it here I would advise you look at YouTube as I am sure someone has a good video on the best way. If this is just a one off crystal replacement you probably don't want to spend $100 on this tool, so pick up a cheap one from Amazon for a fraction of the cost.

Hope this helps.

Something like this?

image.thumb.png.6d7c269c161e20ce957d1b1bf1ab4b3b.png