Seiko What!?!

I've been sniffing around for a Seiko to service and give to a nephew and seeing as the Turtles aren't very expensive I've been meaning to educate myself on what to look for...except that all went out the window when one came up for auction and in one of my rare Fire! Ready! Aim! moments my 'a bit high but still fair for what it is' bid  was the winner...

...but of what exactly? The 'fellows' at the reputable auction house claimed it was 6309-7290 but there's just...so much Faux and Franken. My best guess- the case and back are from different watches - 7290s are supposed to be the thin case I believe, the dial and bezel are at least 'aftermarket' and given the round markers I'm not even certain what model the dial is trying to represent. The movement does look like a legit 6309A and pre-dismantle looks to be in decent shape.

IMG_0595.jpeg

IMG_0596.jpeg

IMG_0597.jpeg

IMG_0598.jpeg

Maybe it's a 6309-7049 ? Manufactured until 1988.

Why do you think the dial isn't original?

Maybe only the caseback is wrong.

I'm not an expert to determine if a watch is original and the questions you have with this watch, you aren't eather;)

I stay away from these watches when I want to wear them as a daily. But if you don't care about originality, than you shouldn't have a problem.

Buy a Seiko 5 for your nephew. Same price and no maintenance for a decade.

10 hours ago, HansPeter said:

Maybe it's a 6309-7049 ? Manufactured until 1988.

Why do you think the dial isn't original?

Maybe only the caseback is wrong.

I'm not an expert to determine if a watch is original and the questions you have with this watch, you aren't eather;)

I stay away from these watches when I want to wear them as a daily. But if you don't care about originality, than you shouldn't have a problem.

Buy a Seiko 5 for your nephew. Same price and no maintenance for a decade.

There are many references to the dial and the symbol following the lettering- it is too large, which is a giveaway for a reproduction. Also the date window is missing a bevel and the markers are flat and do not have the screened/linen appearance of a genuine

…so a true Franken I was trying to decipher if there was anything genuine besides perhaps the case back.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed this! That's a 6309-7040 "turtle" case, 7290 "slim" diver caseback, fake dial and almost definitely an aftermarket bezel. The suwa logo on that dial is completely incorrect, plus the missing "linen" pattern for the lume, as you've stated. Also I don't believe the 735M R dials had the sword at 12, but I might be incorrect on that.

It's exceedingly rare to find an original 7040 dial in good condition, but you can get decent aftermarket ones these days (that's not one of them). It's also difficult to get a 7040 caseback on its own as they usually come paired with a case for a high price these days.

The chapter ring looks legit, but when you tear the watch down you'll want to see if it has the locking section for interfacing with a tab on the dial. 
image.png.a37694e37447701c66978e5d9fcab0d4.png

A word of caution with the bezel removal, it's bi-directional and there will (should) be a tiny ballbearing that sits in an indent in the case. When you take the bezel off that little ball bearing will fall out. I open mine over a container to be safe. When fitting a new bezel, the bb should just rest back in the indent and then the bezel carefully snapped back on.

Edited by lexacat

On 9/25/2023 at 8:07 PM, lexacat said:

Sorry I missed this! That's a 6309-7040 "turtle" case, 7290 "slim" diver caseback, fake dial and almost definitely an aftermarket bezel. The suwa logo on that dial is completely incorrect, plus the missing "linen" pattern for the lume, as you've stated. Also I don't believe the 735M R dials had the sword at 12, but I might be incorrect on that.

It's exceedingly rare to find an original 7040 dial in good condition, but you can get decent aftermarket ones these days (that's not one of them). It's also difficult to get a 7040 caseback on its own as they usually come paired with a case for a high price these days.

The chapter ring looks legit, but when you tear the watch down you'll want to see if it has the locking section for interfacing with a tab on the dial. 
image.png.a37694e37447701c66978e5d9fcab0d4.png

A word of caution with the bezel removal, it's bi-directional and there will (should) be a tiny ballbearing that sits in an indent in the case. When you take the bezel off that little ball bearing will fall out. I open mine over a container to be safe. When fitting a new bezel, the bb should just rest back in the indent and then the bezel carefully snapped back on.

Thank you. Yes, I had heard the bearing sometimes wants to escape so I was careful removing the bezel and saved the bearing…

...and no tab lock on the chapter ring and there were signs of adhesive. Clearly not one of my better investments, this one😂…no matter, fortunately I paid about what  this might be worth…

..the replacement ring and the new bezel from the Netherlands showed up in post today. I’ll see what I can do in assembly while I contemplate a higher quality dial…🤔

Edited by rehajm

For the record, that company in the Netherlands sells a good quality 6309-7040 specific dial which would be a perfect match to your case.

https://speedtimerkollektion.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=26837

EDIT: I guess that would only work if you had the matching chapter ring with tab locator.. Same site has non-tabbed 704x labeled dials that would work, the chapter ring is essentially samwiched in when you install the seat, seal, crystal, and crystal retaining ring.

If you install the movement in the case, then align the chapter exactly right, then press in the crystal and the retaining, you could get away with an aftermarket.

Edited by lexacat