Would you Adam and Eve it?

Would you Adam and Eve it? English cockney rhyming slang. Would you believe it?

Faith in sellers? I purchased a movement as a donor. However picture displayed movement with a dial and date visible. Therefore you think??? On commencing to work on the original some time later I placed the donor in the holder and began to strip down. Removed the dial. Well I never!1 I don't Adam and Eve it!

IMG_20230830_103810 (2).jpg

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

How's the rest of the movement?  When I buy utter rubbish, I do the world a favour and don't resell it.

Some broken parts, but most ok after checking and cleaning. Only got the movement for the rotor screw. It's special. Has the thread on the outside of the tube. 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I am going with a front loader but it won't have a split stem. The stem tube will be open at the front and th movement and stem will just lift out. I changed the battery on one of these recently.
    • As a general point, as you are learning, I would spend some time practicing on shock springs. As a general rule, Incabloc are probably the easiest to deal with as they are anchored and the main risk is removing and replacing the jewel and setting (a jewel picker upper, (a pen like device with gel on the end) or a bit of Rodeo can help here). Springs that are removed entirely, like the one above or the notorious Seiko Diashock are a challenge.   What worked for me when I was learning (having pinged a few springs into orbit) was to buy a gash movement, one of those nasty frankenwatch Seiko's are ideal (try and find a 21 jewel as they have diashocks on the bridge too). Then don't try and fix it (you'll go insane) just practice removing and replacing the springs and jewels from the balance and the bridge. Keep going until you are comfortable. I have made a couple of probes with a sewing needle glued into a drilled length of peg wood, which work really well. as do no5 tweezers. I usually use either the jewel picker upper thingy to transfer the spring to the movement, tipping it off the end with the probe onto the setting and then, with the probe towards the inside of the spring (to stop if flying away, as suggested by others, rotating it with the tweezers. Once you have one tab in, gently apply light pressure to either side and twist. If the tab not other side is sitting too high for the slot, hold the other side down with a probe and gently depress it with the tweezers / other probe and then gently rotate.  It take practice. Just be gentle, they require no force to move. If you are tensing up or shaking, stop take a break and come back to it. Keep practicing and it will become easier, trust me.    We've all been there 🙂
    • To be honest,I would not rely on cpm for a measurement, particularly with radium. The radium is a particle radiation and this cannot penetrate the skin. It has to be ingested (i.e. inhaled) to have an affect. A more reliable measurement of this kind of radiation is the Sievert, which, roughly, is the affect of radiation.  Broadly speaking, when dealing with radium, precautions such as breathing equipment and removing radium in a fluid is advised. Disposal is also something to consider. It's generally a pain in the arse to dispose of and you are better just leaving it undisturbed
    • I tried burning them, but they create a lot of smoke. So I collect them in a plastic container, and in the summer put them in an open container in the garden and let them evaporate.
    • From Bestfit and Ranfft so think it worth a try getting this balance staff. https://ranfft.org/caliber/2333-Damas-23-Beguelin-BTC What measurements can you get from the broken staff?