Bulova Accutron 218 Lubricants?

Hi All,

I have just picked up a nice little Bulova Accutron 218. It is humming away but the minute and hour hands are not turning (apparently it could be corrosion on the cannon pinion) so it is likely in need of a service/repair.

I have found a (grainy) copy of the service manual on line and a quick read through identifies the required lubricants as:

• Moebius OL219 - Synta Visco Lube
  • Moebius OL207 - Special Lubricant with Molybdenum Disulphide

Im struggling to find any information regarding these lubricants. Does any one have any specs they could point me to? Or alternatively, does anyone know if there are modern equivalent lubricants I can use for this movement?

Cheers,

Bob

For the 218 of the secondhand is spinning and everything else is not that's a classic problem of the center Canon pinion assembly. It actually has a technical name but I not looking at the manual right now. The original lubrication for that didn't work well and he gets locked in place and the wheel that it snaps into what eventually lose all of its tension and effortlessly spin. You can also observe this by setting the watch you'll feel no friction at all. So that either has to be repaired if possible probably not or replaced. Sometimes you can flip the wheel over and snap it back on again a little more Friction.

1 hour ago, bobtheterrible said:
  • Moebius OL219 - Synta Visco Lube
  • Moebius OL207 - Special Lubricant with Molybdenum Disulphide

For the first one that's 9020 that's what you want to use. For the second one it's problematic which led to the probably are having. Use 9504 it's basically the modern equivalent

• Like 2

Many thanks @JohnR725

For the first one that's 9020 that's what you want to use. For the second one it's problematic which led to the probably are having. Use 9504 it's basically the modern equivalent

Thats just what I needed!

You can also observe this by setting the watch you'll feel no friction at all. So that either has to be repaired if possible probably not or replaced. Sometimes you can flip the wheel over and snap it back on again a little more Friction.

This is some really good information!

I will post some pics once I get started and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Bob