Rolex 6426 Pendant tube broken and stuck in the case

11 minutes ago, Waggy said:

"Grade 904L stainless steel is a non-stabilized austenitic stainless steel with low carbon content. This high alloy stainless steel is added with copper to improve its resistance to strong reducing acids, such as sulphuric acid."

904L is also nonmagnetic so you can also confirm with a magnet

How hard is that grade waggy ? I take it brehmer is looking at carbide to drill it out. Cousins sell carbide burrs ball profile starting at 0.8mm .   less risk of braking than a drill. How about just slow and steady with a pin vice.  If the extractor has cut quickly then probably not that hard.

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

Rockwell hardness of mild steel is around 70 HRB, and 904L is in the range 70-90 HRB. So I think carbide should be OK. It also seems fairly malleable with good toughness, so should cut well and not chip or crack.

I would use cooling (3 in 1 oil and/or a damp cloth) to stop the steel discolouring due to any heat generated, blueing on hands is nice , but not the case.

You could be there a while with a pin vice, perhaps take 80% away with a dremmel and finish off the last bit using your suggested pin vice method to get the best of both worlds?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update, I managed to broach out the old pendant tube to the threads and then managed to clean out the threads well enough with a tap and then screw the new pendant tube in without any issues. A bit scary but it certainly works and it looks really nice(:

• Like 5

• 5 months later...