Stem pinion rounded hole problem

13 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Do you mean the stem just turns?

You can change the time but it feels horrible.

It wont wind the main spring, i took apart and it looks like the hole is rounded.

Other than the center hole being rounded the part looks fine, is their any possible fix for this?

20230629_180117.jpg

20230629_180129.jpg

20230629_180122.jpg

Edited by Michaeluk

55 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

What is the other side like, that engages with the sliding pinion? 

You need the watch out of the case so we can see the keyless works.  The sliding pinion may be worn too.

It's fine pleanty of tread still in both sides, the main problem seems to be the square part of the stem is turning loose in the winding pinions now round hole so it isn't spinning the ratchet wheel.

I would buy a new winding pinion but this movement isn't common i cant find parts for this movement anywhere.

Is their a way of repairing the winding pinion?

Hi as Richard said remove the watch from the case , remove dial and hands and post pictures of the key less work. From your explanation the key less is failing to engage the mechanism in order to turn the ratchet wheel.  Post pictures with the stem in hand set position and winding position. It’s a though the sliding pinion is not moving between positions.

2 hours ago, Michaeluk said:

You can change the time but it feels horrible.

It wont wind the main spring, i took apart and it looks like the hole is rounded.

Other than the center hole being rounded the part looks fine, is their any possible fix for this?

20230629_180117.jpg

20230629_180129.jpg

Hi. We really need to see the other side, the keyless works or turn the wheel over so we can corfirm how this part operates. If it engages with a sliding pinion, clutch,  castle wheel however you want to call it then the hole should be round and not square. The clutch takes the square section of the stem, unless the setting components are a rocking bar system in which case there is no clutch wheel. If there is a clutch then that isn't engaging correctly with the winding pinion so if can act on crown wheel to wind the mainspring. If the hand set is yucky then it sounds like the clutch isn't engageing with the intermediate wheel correctly either. Something is worn or broken inbeween. All if and buts without knowing the winding set up. pictures of keyless works please. 

Looking at the square on the stem, it seems maximum size. So, could be the sliding pinion is worn (rare) or, it's not original (could be) or the winding pinion is not original (could be) or both (could be), or the stem is so worn on its front and back bearing ends, in the plate (and barrel bridge) that it disengages. Or one or the other, likely bridge side, is worn out.

Made many stems with around 0.05mm plus on the plate bearing end and it cured the sitch. Maybe an extra 0.01 on the pivot. For major manufacturer "vintage" work.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.