Elgin 16s

I saw a Elgin GSTP pocket watch on ebay, so I thought I'd give it a go, it was cheap sold as spares and repairs, not expensive so I'm game I thought. 

So my Elgin has arrived this week, " sold for spares and repairs ".
Yup they described that absolutely right on that one, but that's what I paid for.
So yes it needs a bit of work,  the back doesn't screw up, center wheel is bent, upper jewel is missing, main spring is broken, dial is  cracked and has numbers have been filled with silver paint, one of the winding wheels is missing 2 teeth, the balance staff is broken ,but  on a good note they had put a solid silver bow on the top .

So I'll have a go. 

s-l1600 (14).jpg

s-l400 (11).jpg

20230602_130947.jpg

20230602_125549.jpg

s-l1600 (12).jpg

On the upside, the new balance staff arrived this morning, and it seams that I picked the correct one, so things are looking up.

I replaced the top jewel without to much of d a problem, just luckily enough that I had a box of jewel setting in the back of a draw, something else I was fortunate enough to keep for a rainy day. 

I also had a look on Ebay for a donar movement, I know its a bit of a cheat, but there's nothing like having a plan B.

And having a few spare for a 1942 Elgin is a very comforting thought. 

Looking through my book "military timepieces" I seams that just about everyone did one, Waltham, Elgin, Bravingtons etc and all the big names too. 

Don't quote me, I'm no expert