Old 195-s Hamilton Morton

I have an old 1957 Hamilton Morton that was my grandfathers watch.  This was a daily wear watch for him and was handed down to me when my Dad passed.

I don't wear it much because the watch face is quite dirty and hard to read (see attached pictures).  The watch surprisingly runs well given its age, but I'm sure could use a good cleaning as well and lubrication.

One of the things that is wrong with the face of the watch though is the marker for the 1 o'clock position came lose at some point.  You can see it on the watch cushion to the right of the movement.  It looks like it has two feet that go into the watch face and attach somehow.  What is the best way to reattach this to the watch face (glue of some sort?).

What also is the best way to clean the face of this watch?  Just water and a simple cotton swab or is there a better method to help in cleaning this without destroying the face?

IMG_0642.jpeg

The indices glue on, I would use superglue but some may recommend UV drying cement.  As for the dial its a tricky question. What do you want to achieve.  Some people would want a light clean, others to remove all the discolouration.  The hands need removing and cleaning too. 

Be careful near the text if you want to keep it, it will rub off easily. 

I would try a cotton bud with some luke warm water and a drop of washing up liquid. 

Pictures of the movement please. 

12 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Pictures of the movement please. 

I wasn't planning on touching the movement just yet, but here you go.  I believe this is a 770 Movement.  If anyone has the tech sheet for it, I would appreciate that when I do decide to work on it.

Basically, I just want to clear the face up so I can wear it and be able to tell what time it is.  Right now, it is really hard to read the time.

IMG_0644.jpeg

Here is another picture of the inside of the case.  A little bit of grafitti from whomever worked on the watch back in 1966 I believe.  It appears someone etched "+2-7-66-600" in the case along with I think their name or initials.

Anyone know what the 600 at the end means?

Also, this watch running on my timegrapher (not sure what the LA should be but I have it at 52 degrees)  and it is getting about 141 degrees amp, so it should be serviced.  Has a BE of 6.9ms too. +76/sec day as well.

IMG_0647.jpeg

14 minutes ago, tomh207 said:

Use GS hypo cement applied from the back of the dial. Super glue can outgass over time and may turn the acrylic crystal cloudy.

Tom

I concur superglue can leave a white film from the vapours.  I often get this when i sometimes superglue clear perspex together. Its usually at the time of bonding , once cured it may not produce that effect, i still dont think i would risk using it. Be very carful with the dial,almost anything used can have an effect on a delicate finish. I've removed thin lacquers with just water and a cotton bud. Distilled water or de ionised water should be used. Hard water area water will contain amounts of calcium this may have a very slight abrasive nature. I've tried the softest of materials and different fine makeup sponges that still left scratches visible with fairly low magnification. Just got these from cousins but yet to try them.

Screenshot_20230405-141353_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

Okay, thanks for the information.  Good point about using distilled water.  I'll see if I can find something similar to those items Cousins has.  I refuse to buy from them since they do not have a way to ask them questions and I am still waiting on an order close to a month now.

Once I decide to work on the movement, I will likely start to look for a parts movement just in case I need a part.  I see one out there right now with a beautiful face, but I'd rather keep my grandfathers face from his watch.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kd8tzc said:

Okay, thanks for the information.  Good point about using distilled water.  I'll see if I can find something similar to those items Cousins has.  I refuse to buy from them since they do not have a way to ask them questions and I am still waiting on an order close to a month now.

Once I decide to work on the movement, I will likely start to look for a parts movement just in case I need a part.  I see one out there right now with a beautiful face, but I'd rather keep my grandfathers face from his watch.

Understandable with the issues you've been having with cousins. It's nice to keep as much of the watch as original as possible. But as the most visual part of the watch, even if you need to change a lot of the movement parts. Its unlikely that your grandfather ever set eyes on the movement but will have looked at the face of the watch many times in a single day. Watches like these are precious, i also have one of my grandfather's watches.

This was a watch he was given for his years of service at the company that he worked.  I consider that rare in today's age for a couple of reasons.  Many people never work for a single company that they started with and are able to retire from.  That may be due to job hopping, or it just may be that a company doesn't see its employees as assets any longer (or many companies don't now). 

The other thing that is rare is any company giving a nice watch as a service gift.  Now it would be some "cheap" thing from a store that you can pick out, that would cost no more than a few bucks.

Anyhow, I remember him being so proud of this watch, and I believe in the day, the 770 Hamilton Movement was considered one of the better movements to have. 

Does anyone know if there is a tech sheet for that movement?  I'm thinking that was before they may have existed, but just curious as I can't seem to find one.

9 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Dials are always a bone of contention.  If the dial was restored it would be like @kd8tzcgrandad first saw it. No definite answers. 

Screenshot_20230405_133551_Chrome.jpg

I always like to see some history, the odd scuff that my old grandad might have made doing his gardening. I cleaned out the expandable strap, it was so full of his dna thaf i was tempted to keep it in case we ever get to cloning people. Then i could meet him 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I cleaned out the expandable strap, it was so full of his dna

I know what you mean.  I still have the expandable strap in a zip loc bag... I have not cleaned it and don't plan to.  More sentimental than anything.

I hear you with keeping some "history" with the watch, but I need to be able to also read what time it is.  🙂  So, cleaning up a little is needed, but not 100% clean is my desire.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

How would you recommend cleaning the dial, Tom?

I have had no problem when I was a soldier entering a firefight, but I am not brave enough to suggest an approach to dial cleaning. 😂

Tom

• Haha 1